1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signal Splitting

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nno Mar, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

May 4, 2012
    Hi!

I've been using my ernie ball volume pedal to split the signal chain.

The out goes to the effects pedals and amp, the tuner out goes directly into DI and FOH.

However, I find myself never using the volume pedal, so I'm looking for a small box or whatever solution to split the signal and not having to have a pedal the size of the ernie ball.

any suggestions? :help:

Cheers!

2. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I used a Radial ABY. Very nice as it had a 180° phase-switch.

3. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I use a Radial as well, but the active one- Twin City ABY. Works great! Not cheap, but got mine used here on tb for 85.00

4. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    If you just need to split and not A/B the signal, a Lehle PSplit is really nice. Very high build quality, and dead quiet - great for studio work or live.

5. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Boss LS2. One guitar in, two outs.

Barber Launch Pad. Very clean, excellent build.

6. So what's the best pedal for doing the opposite?

I've got two basses with very different volumes that I want to be able to switch between (one amp, 2 basses). Is the LS2 my best bet?

7. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    The level knobs on the LS2 would allow you to level them, yes. Just plug the basses into the FX Return ports on the LS2. Handy little pedal. And cheaper than many of the alternatives.

8. Sweet. Thanks for the info. I'm gradually building my board here.

Any experience with the Behringer version of the LS2? I think it's the AB100.

9. ryanowens

ryanowens Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 1, 2004
    Houston
    Trickfish Amplificaton
    Lehle 3@1 is great.

3 inputs and you can adjust the volume internally for input 2 and 3 so that all the levels line up.

10. And at $300, you can sell one or two of your children to be able to afford it!!

11. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    For $300, they can afford to put the controls on top with a knob for easier access.

12. I'm not ripping on Behringer, but IMO it's not worth the price difference given Boss' fairly well-documented indestructibility...

I've got 2 LS-2's and although they're not a "glamorous" effect pedal, they get used a LOT by me for various signal routing/splitting tasks.

13. TraceOnBass

TraceOnBass

Sep 6, 2011
    Upstate, NY
    Radial Bigshot i/o Used i purchased on TB for $40.

2 inputs, you can select Bright or Dim for second input (i have active and passive basses) also a trim for volume leveling.
    2 outputs
    Best off all (no power needed to run)

14. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

May 4, 2012
    Thanks for the replys. I actually don't need to have a switch, I really just need to split the signal and leave it like that under the board.

How does the Lehle P-split deal with the low end? Does it have a great effect or is it neutral?

15. I'd have thought all of the splitter options behave well with low end, since there isn't an upside to cutting it.

16. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Neutral, to my ears anyway. I used it mostly to run 2 separate DI signal chains in the studio.

It's got a very small footprint but VERY solidly built. It also has a switch for phase correction should you need it. Only downside is that it's pricey - about $165.

17. Nno Mar

Nno Mar

May 4, 2012
    Well, I just checked the Manual for the Lehle P-split, and actually the frequency response is is not very good. The low end is just on the B string. If you down tune it it may not go so well.

From the manual:
    Fequencyresp.: 30 Hz - 20 kHz -0,3/ +0,3 dB
    (Source 600 Ohm, Load 1MOhm)

18. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Keep in mind a couple of things:

a) The P-Split is a passive splitter. So, if using a passive instrument or signal, it is very possible for the split signal to load down your pickups- resulting in a loss of treble and/or volume.

b) Lehle transformers are super high-quality! As long as what you're plugging into doesn't load your passive signal - or if you use active instruments - it's gonna sound great!

19. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Very good points. I was plugging in an EB MM Stingray and that worked very nicely.