1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signals - Rush

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by cronker, Aug 24, 2012.

1. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Coming after the masterpiece, Moving Pictures, Signals was widely regarded as a failure for Rush.
    It sold less well than the previous album etc...

I think Signals is one of their better albums. I like to listen to the whole album and enjoy.

your thoughts?

2. mam1862

mam1862 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Northfield, Ohio
    They are all good.

3. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    nice planks in your avatar, man

4. rupture

rupture

Jan 27, 2012
    one of my top 2 by them and my favorite ric tone eva . Which I have replicated and enjoy every day

5. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yes, that whole album is very earnest, and very beautiful in places. The band themselves weren't as happy with the studio sound as they were on the road with that material (mostly because Alex's guitar parts were so far back in the mix. However, the technical and emotional content of that album puts it probably into my top 5 Rush albums.

6. Yeah, I'm one of those mentioned in the OP. I really didn't enjoy Signals as much as anything they did prior. There were a couple good songs on it, but overall, I'm not that fond of it. I find some of the latter songs of Moving Pictures sound like they were already moving in the direction towards the Signals style of music and it is in MP where I started skipping tracks.

7. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Exactly. Alex was clearly too far back in the mix, but they over-did the response in "Grace Under Pressure" where he is too up-front.
    The emotional content of Signals is the reason I love it so much. It just speaks to me.

Yes, the mix is muddy, yes the guitars are too far back etc.
    I just love it.

8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Permanent Waves/Moving Pictures is where they peaked for me. Signals sounded a bit weaker to me but I still liked it. Grace Under Pressure is where they lost me and never got me back. To be honest the album I've liked the most of theirs since then was Feedback! :eek: I'll always love me some Rush though. One of the greatest bands in the annals of rock music, for sure.

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

Signals was definately not considered a failure.

New World Man and Subdivisions were both big hits... New World Man was actually their biggest hit and only top 40 song ever (hit #21).... Actually bigger than Tom Saywer or Closer to the Heart on the charts.

I like the album. Not as good as Hemispheres, 2112 and Moving Pictures IMO, but butter than many of their later albums.

The album also hit #10 on Bilboard....

10. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Two thumbs up.

I dig on Analog Kid and Chemistry as well... A great album, any way you slice it.

11. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Baird speaks truth right here. Signals is a great album. Yes, there were some production disappoints. Yes, it was the final album they did with their original producer, Terry Brown. But for me, the records Broon produced are their best ever, and Signals is right in there for me. Always has been.

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

"The Analog Kid" is the first Rush song I ever heard, and maybe that's why it's one of my all-time Rush favorites. Although in my opinion "Signals" pales compared to such a masterpiece like "Moving Pictures", I don't think it's a "bad" Rush album (actually, while some albums are much better than others, I don't think there's such a thing like a bad Rush album).

13. R Baer

R Baer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Geddy is just a MONSTER on this album and the band is in top form. This album also has one of my all time favorite Rush songs on it ... "Losing It". The violin solo still gives me chills when I hear it.