Signature bass sounds...what are they?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 20, 2006.

1. I'm relatively new to this site and new to bass. I hear alot on this site and elsewhere about the "ric sound" or the "j-bass" sound. Having come over from a long stint in the world of guitars, there are obviously alot of different sounds available, but they all seem to get lumped into the overall categories named for a landmark instrument and tone: The Strat single coil sound (glassy, great clean), the Les Paul PAF humbucker sound (powerful, great dirty sound), and of course the Tele sound (chirpy, articulate), and so on...

What are the bass equivalents? What are the main "signature" bass sounds after which many others seem to be judged/compared? Help our a newbie! (BTW I am the proud owner of a new MIM I know what that sounds like! Love it). Thanks!!
  2. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    The classic pbass tone the flatwound thump like you'll hear on motown, stax, and a host of other 60's soul records. It consist of flats, which have been broken in and aren't changed until the break which takes years, and not much treble or mids.
  3. zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    a pbass goes bump and a jazz goes wump...and the ric sound like a buzzsaw. need to listen to artists that play certain guitars to get a feel....even if you tried out each bass in a store it would be confusing if you couldnt fully play bass.
  4. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The growly and woody mids of a Warwick.
  5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Fender P Bass
    Classic P Bass with flats
    Fender Jazz Bass
    Music Man (Stingray)
    "modern" (active electronics)

IMO - Everything else is just a variation of one of the above tones.
  6. bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    After a while of this you will get the hang of who uses what based upon their sound and tone as far as basses and even amps go.

A lot of times the genre of music also puts a "limitiation" on what gets used:

P-Basses: Everything. Mostly punk, emo, rock and even a couple metal bands.
    (Green Day, All Punk stuff, Rolling Stones, etc...)
    J-Basses: Progressive and rock and others. Interchangable with P-Basses for similar tones and sounds. Think of a Fender sound out of these. Cuts through the mix with a pick and sounds soulful and thick when playing with fingers.
    (Rage Against The Machine, Audioslave, Jaco Pastorious etc...)
    Warwick: These basses are very organic and growl-y. Good mid range and defined highs too. Mostly in metal and rock bands.
    (Mudvayne. Trapt. Story of the Year, Puddle of Mudd, Slipknot etc...)
    Musicman Stingray: Killer tone with a pick. Also for rock, metal emo and stuff of that nature. Can swap with a P-bass for a different sound.
    (Disturbed, and others)

As far as ampage goes. Ampegs are the insudtry standard I would say. So off the top of your head. When you hear something:
    Base it off of a P-Bass sound and an Ampeg SVT and 8x10 speakers. From there you can decide who plays what.

Look at all the bands and you will see who they are endorsed by or go to websites for the basses and you will see who they endorse. Then listen to their stuff and you'll get the sound.

The big deal is finally realizing there is bass in songs and to focus on that over other things...
  7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    cliff burton and his big overdrive/fuzz/distortion with wah-wah, he seemed to do it on a Ric and a aria.....strange
  8. I would consider Ampeg's to be the Les Pauls of the Amp industy. Very nice, last forever, gets the job done, but not everyone can afford one. Then you could put Gallien Krueger in the spot of the Strat, classic, great bang for the buck, fits pretty much anything and everything you can throw at it. Then you have the lower end stuff*coughbehringercoughcough* and on the extreme high end you have the Mesa Boogie for mass production, and Thunderfunk for botiuque.