1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signature brand replacement neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by emblymouse, Sep 24, 2008.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
  2. Depends on what body you are putting it on. Check the heel width measurements carefully. I have heard but don't know that putting these on standard Fender bodies requires modification due to heel rounding issues.

3. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Do a search on TB. I'm pretty sure there are quite a few threads about this. IIRC, slyjoe is right that it might work with modification, but that Signature brand parts do not have standard fender neck heel specs.

4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    you'd buy a fender/warmoth one for less..

5. Twinxkel

Twinxkel

Apr 16, 2007
    They look like "rebranded" SX necks by the look and the headstock.

6. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town.

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Someone always says this..
    They're not. They are from a now defunct instrument brand that reportedly made good quality stuff. The issue is that thier neck heel metrics are different from standard Fender.

Be sure to check the depth of the neck as well as the width.

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why? Precision necks are much nicer. Jazz necks are too skinny at the nut for proper technique.

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

Says who?

9. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    Personnal Choice really :)

i like both i must say but im prob not the most pickiest of Bassists

10. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    I just did.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You misunderstand. That seller has been selling his stash of Signature brand parts for so many years that it is very unlikely he could possibly still have anything made by their factory. It has also been observed that the products he's selling now do not look the same as the products he used to sell. IOW Signature was a legitimate brand that reportedly made good stuff, but that is no guarantee that the products he's currently selling are legitimate Signature-manufactured goods.

BTW I actually have nothing against the guy, and the times I have exchanged emails with him he was very helpful and informative. I'm only pointing out that things change, and appearances may deceive.

12. for the price you can get a Warmoth, US guitars, Allparts neck.
    Any of those will fit with no problems.

MM

13. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Or look into SX necks at Rondomusic.net. I plan on getting a maple black blocked and bound jazz neck from them for around $25 my next paycheck.
    If you are looking for authentic replacement for the Fender neck then go for Warmoth or Allparts. If you dont really care go for my route and look at SX. They do make some quality necks as well.

14. SGD Lutherie

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    You know there are only so many Asian guitar factories, and they make the bulk of all the import brands and parts, both for big names like Ibanez and smaller brands like SX.

The really low cost stuff is now coming from China, and I guess like anything else, some is good and some isn't.

So there's a good possibility that SX necks are made in the same factory as some other necks, including Fender's.

Oh and my Jazz neck comment is just an opinion. I hate the things, but obviously some people like them. But I'm not alone in my views either. :)