Signature Jazz Bodies W/Fender Neck - Will it work?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Groover, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I'm hoping someone can help me figure this out. I've been considering getting a Signature Jazz body and putting a Fender neck on it. Seems as if there are a lot of these Signature bodies pop-up all the time.

Not sure if I understand the pocket issue this seller is talking about.

I'm thinking about putting a neck from a MIJ Jazz Special on it. Will it work??

This Item Here

2. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    I guess I could measure the stuff... (not at home, just at work right now GASing...)

Anyway, if someone has used one of these bodies and can say yeah or neah on them, that would be great.

Thanks again.
  3. You, sir, are a master of understatement! :D Yes, you should measure the neck you're planning to use to make sure it'll fit. It was good of the seller to provide the measurements. What part of his measurements are confusing you? By the way, does the neck you're planning to use have more than 20 frets? If it is a Fender neck and it has more than 20 frets, you more than likely have a fingerboard extension. If it has more than 20 frets and no extension, there could be problems fitting it. Let us know!
  4. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks for the reply lonote. The neck I plan on using is from a Fender (MIJ) Jazz Bass Special from mid 80's. Should have the same specs as the regular Jazz, but I'm not 100% sure.

It has 20 frets.

The part that confused me probably comes from me assuming all fender neck pockets are the same. Sounds like (also from his description) that they're not (surprise, surpise :p)

I'll make sure to measure.

Thanks againn
  5. I've got a Sig body with an All Parts Fender sized neck and there's no problem, except the neck sits very low. Smash put it together a while back and made a thread on it. Check it out if you can, he goes through this point. Basically, I think the neck pocket is deeper, so I think he got some smaller screws to use for the neck so as not to drill right through the fretboard. The pickups lie a bit low in compensation but it's a great sounding and playing bass, so I can't complain.
  6. Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Thanks fenderjazz. I couldn't find the post you mention, but I guess what you say makes sense. The seller mentions the strong 5/8" stuff, so I think that's what he's talking about.

I guess I'll give it a little more thought. The bodies look nice. Wish they were a little cheaper though.
  7. sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC

I built two Signature basses and am very happy with the results. Yes, the neck sits deeper in the body and the strings lie closer to the body/pickups, but the basses are extremely playable and sound great.

Where else can you get a brand new, completely finished, alder Jazz body with all electronics and hardware for $200?