Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signature Jazz in the Works! Pics...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Jul 14, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Hey guys, after reading several good reviews about the signature products available on ebay, and an increase in gas level for a bound a blocked maple fingerboard, I decided to take the plunge. I just sent payment for my Signature jazz body & neck. (so now you guys need to buy my stuff for sale ;))

Check it out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll of course be posting full review once I get it set-up and assembled.

2. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I own two of the Signature basses. One is a blue trans body like this one, and I put one of the Fender branded necks on it from Goerdt as well. Since buying it I have installed a white pearloid pickguard and a chrome cover over the neck pickup. The second one is a white body with tort pickguard, and I installed a Mighty Mite fretless P-bass neck with an ebonal fretboard on that one. It too just received a chrome pickup cover.

Of the two basses, the body on the blue one is nicer, the route for the bridge pickup is much cleaner than on the white body. The finish is great on the blue one, except for a couple minor bubbles near the thru-body string ferrules. I wasn't thrilled with the 3 piece wood body, it's fairly obvious that the grain doesn't match real well. The finish on the white body is very nice, no blemishes on it.

The pickups are quite punchy, moreso than those on my Geddy Lee sig. They have more low end output but are less "growly" than the Geddy. Overall I've been very pleased with the two Signature basses that I have, and they get quite alot of playing time. I think they are a good value for the money. I look forward to hearing your opinion once you get yours.

3. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    This was a concern of mine too. I looked at several other bodies before deciding on this one because of it's excellent grain match. He sent me pics of a couple bodies and let me pic the one that I thought looked best.

This was one of the main selling points for me. After smash gave these pups a thumbs up, I knew they had to be decent.

4. I've been thinking of buying one of these myself, but with a Mighty Mite neck.
    That way I figured I'd get a reasonable Jazz bass for about half the price of an MIM Jazz here in Australia (about $500ish compared to around $1000)

5. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    You have to be careful about using a fender-spec neck in these. The neck pocket is deeper than a standard fender, so your neck will sit real low on the body, unless you shim it. Several people have done it with good results though.

6. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    +1

The fretless Mighty Mite neck I used sits at about the same height as the fretted neck I bought along with the the blue body. Both sit fairly low in the body and require the saddles to be nearly all the way down to get the action low enough for my taste. No problems with it, but the pickups do have to sit low as well.

7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Finally got it here and assembled - full review coming soon!

[​IMG]

Can you believe that thing will be 16 years old come august! :eek:

8. Looks great! I'd be interesting in building one, but he doesn't always put many bodies on ebay. I should ask him what he has in stock, since at the moment he's only got a blue Sig body. Also, the neck is important... I'd like a maple/black block or rosewood/pearl block, just to spice things up. I'm guessing his Signature necks fit well but how do his MIJ Fender necks fit? I'm wondering if I'd definitely need a shim or if any other problems might arise. Great looking, affordable stuff though.

9. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Stats:
    Signature Jazz Bass
    Alder body - Trans Blue
    Maple/Maple neck w/ black blocks and binding
    Passive Electronics - V/V/T
    Weight: 9lbs. 5oz.

Ok, for those of you who don't know, there is a guy who sells NOS bodies and necks from the shortlived Signature Basses on the 'bay. This stuff was handmade in the USA. You buy a body and neck and bolt it together put some strings on and your ready to go.

The body: As soon as you pick this thing up you can tell it is handmade. If you run your hand around the edges of the body you can feel slight imperfections in the radiuses of the body that tell you that this thing was churned out buy a CNC machine. The only real issue I have with the body is the Bridge pickup route, it is a good deal oversized and just looks sloppy. The body is two piece but the grain matching is great, you could never tell it was two pieces unless you hold it up to your face and scan the grain for a mismatch. The finish quality is pretty good, the blue is very deep and even. I prefer a little deeper clearcoat, but it looks good.

The Neck: The neck is a great piece of work overall. It is a one piece flatsawn maple neck, so it's not the most stable thing ever, but the design is tried and true. The walnut skunkstripe is very cleanly intalled, no filler, no ridges. The blocks leave something to be desired. It looks as if these have been cut out by hand with a chisel. Thay are somewhat sloppy and there is a good bit of filler around some of them. They look great from more than two feet away though, so no big deal. The fretwork is pretty good, the ends are all very neat and even, no overhangs. There are a couple of high frets though, so I will need to get them leveled before I can get the action really low, but it is very playable as is. The binding is flawless. The fretboard is only 20 frets, which I don't like.

Hardware: All the chrome on this bass looks great very smooth and glossy, no pitting or clouding. The bridge is of decent quality, I would say it is probably a step above standard fender. I am going to replace it though because there is no adjustment for string spacing. ( I really like to fine tune my spacing/placement). The pickguard and control plate fit together better than my American Deluxe Fender and the Pickguard fits around the neck perfectly no gap at all. The tuners do leave something to be desired, they are standard open gear cloverleav style tuners. They are a little tight in some places, and not super smooth, but they get the job done.

Electronics: These signature pickups are double-pole, handwoud, and cast in epoxy. They sound great. They are pretty hot for passive jazzes. Their tone is more punchy and growly than my emg's and has more body and character than fender noiseless pups. The electronics were very susceptible to noise but I did a full shielding/star grounding job and now the bass is extremely quite, even when soloing the pups. The pots are clean and tight, as good as the ones that came with my emg's. I didn't check the cap value or type, but the tone roll off sounds very natural, not stuffy and choking like some passive tone contols.

The sound: This bass sounds exactly like what it is: a maple boarded, alder bodied jazz bass. It's got the highend zing and agressiveness from the maple board but it's not super punchy because of the alder body.

The Verdict: I am loving this bass so far. Once I get the frets leveled and get a new bridge on this thing it will be amazing. This thing is easily on par if not better than MIA fender in sound and quality, and it's alot cheaper. It's also just a good feeling to know your playing handmade bass. It's hard to believe that this bass will be 16 years old in august :eek: . It looks and plays like a brand new bass.

Customer Service - Geordt Lambert is a great guy. He did absolutley everything he could to make sure I was happy before during and after the sale. Before I had even comitted to buy he sent pictures of multiple bodies and necks for me to choose from. After I had picked my body and paid for it he realized that there was an extremely minor finish flaw on the bass. He told me immediately and refunded me twenty bucks and threw in a free gig bag. After I got the bass I found out the original pups were dead, I told him and he had a new set on the way the next day at no cost to me, even though I bought the Item with no warranty or guarantee.

10. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Yeah, shoot him an e-mail he is very helpful in finding what you want and he has a huge inventory. He has more maple/black block necks, but no rosewood/pearl block. The sig necks fit perfect. An MIJ neck would sit low if not shimmed, but he has a few sig bodies that have exact fender spec neck pockets, an MIJ would fit those fine. You may have to dowel and re-drill the neck heel though.