1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signature model bass: Would you care if the artist hand-signed it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xnewyorka, Dec 7, 2017.

1. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    One of my basses is a "signature" model, which was apparently designed by a famous bass player. His name is already permanently stenciled on the bass, from the factory.

I might have a chance to meet him in person, and it occurred to me I could bring my bass with me, and a Sharpie marker, and ask him to sign the bass, and maybe even snap a photo of him signing it.

Is that silly? Does an autograph do anything to the value of the instrument (up or down?)
    If I do it, where is the best place for him to sign it so that it won't wear off and won't look silly?

2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Don’t think it’s silly at all. I just wouldn’t want it personalized unless I absolutely knew I was going to take it to the grave. Back of the headstock.

xnewyorka likes this.
  3. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I think of a signed bass more as a piece of memorabilia rather than an instrument. Whether the value goes up or down would depend on the signature. How many signatures, alone, are worth more than a bass?

If someone would want to buy your bass to play, the signature would hurt the value. If someone wants the signature, there might be less expensive ways to get it. The value of the bass and the value of the signature will not be additive.

4. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    WAIT I'VE GOT IT

Have him sign the bass directly on top of his stenciled signature. That way the bass is autographed but still looks like it just came from the factory. Everyone is happy!

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    xnewyorka likes this.
  5. xnewyorka

xnewyorka Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2006
    NYC Area
    You get an A+ for creativity! I like that idea.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would not want him to sign it on anything that could get rubbed off - so pickguard or back of headstock (even then you have to be careful). Unless you have proof that he/she autographed the bass (like a photo of the signature taking place) people have no way of knowing if the signature is legit.