Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signature models (Playing somebody else's)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    I was just curious, do you guys find it weird to play onstage with someone else's signiture model? My issue is now I love the sound of the mark hoppus J-Bass, but I dont want to play his or anyone else's bass on stage, it would just feel really weird to me I think, im not sure yet, never tried it.

What about you guys?

2. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Well I'd like to clear this up before anyone else posts on this thread, This thread has obsolutly nothing at all to do with mark hoppus himself, only his bass, so please dont everyone start rambling on and on how bad he is and saying his bass sucks just becuase he plays it. Becuase I know thats how most people on here feel, Again im not saying all of you, but most people dont like his playing at all. So please lets keep it to the bass only.

Anyways, I was thinking it over and your probably right, by the time I have enough money I can make my own "custom" bass, just my prefence of pickups and whatever, and until than use the hoppus, I dont know, I know for a fact that is the sound i want from my bass, hmmm I need more opinions people.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Really the signature models are just upgraded versions of already made basses. I mean, the Geddy Lee bass, faster neck and different pick ups. Its just a bass and if you think about it, there probably is a real good player out there playing a stock bass but its not his signature. If you had that model too would you still feel akward playing it since he's better or well known?

4. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yeah thats actually a really good way of putting it, I think i may just go for it, The only thing I dont like about fenders is they chip and dent pretty easy, but I'll live.

edit:

"I can't believe this bass has got such good reviews. Obviously thanks to the one pick-up and no tone controls you can barely get any range of tone out of this bass. It is made specifically for Mark Hoppus' one dimensional tone. Do not get this bass unless you are obsessed with Mark Hoppus or something. Any half decent bassist would most likely laugh at you for having one anyway. If you truly think this bass and the bassist that it belongs to are great I recommend you go listen to the likes of Jaco Pastorius, Victor Wooten and Les Claypool, to name but a few. If you want a cheaper and better bass go with a Fender Mexican jazz or p-bass."

Its comments like these that just completly turn me off from buying his bass or any sig. bass, my god I dont know what to do. The other option im considering is the musicman SUB 4 string. And i know mark *im a big blink fan btw* used a musicman for their first record and he got a similar sound but not quite as cool as his new fender, I dont know what im gonna do. They have the musicman at the guitar store, im gonna ask the guy if I can **** around with the amp controls to get "my sound" from it, to see if I can, and I think I'll go from there.

5. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I'd have no problems owning either an Alembic Stanley Clarke or a Mark King model. The Lakland Bob Glaub is another one of my "dream machines". And if I were 15 years younger, 30 lbs lighter, and playing hard rock, I'd have no problems playing a Yamaha Attitude. The Geddy Lee Jazz is a really nice bass too.

I guess it would depend on who's "signature" is on the bass.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I couldn't give a damn what's on the headstock and I am sure most people in the audience (with the exception of musicians) wouldn't know a Mike Dirnt from a Steve Harris P.
    The important thing is that it sounds and feels right to you.

7. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Alright guys, I think im gonna have to go and try the SUB out again next week when I go for lessons, and I'll ask to plug it into their SWR 810 and 8008, that thing is so nice, way to big for me to be lugging around though, anyways it has alot of tone shaping and what not, so if I can get the sound of that amp, I'll be able to get it out of the mesa walkabout or venture I decide to go with, if not I'll get the hoppus sig I guess. I like the looks of the SUB better for some reason, and it feels more solid than my bro's P bass.

Thanks Though.

8. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    Plug that thing into an amp like yours as well. If you can't get the tone at home what's the use?

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    If it feels good, and sounds good, I don't care what it's called or who's signature is on it.

10. Yea, you can say I suck all day long, but if I had Mark's money just from playing bass, I would just laugh right back at you. hahaha

11. bassmaster5632

bassmaster5632

May 13, 2005
    a what from a who? :help: :help: :help:
    j/k good point thought

12. if you're looking for a punky sound, any pj combo bass but the pickups need to be dimarzio p and j models. i recently put these pickups in my mexican p with american j neck and cut a hole in the body for the j.. and jesus, this thing is amazing. it is exactly what i was looking for. i got a stingray and it has even crossed my mind to sell the stingray and just stick with the p. back to the point... dimarzio pj set with the mid up on your amp is gonna get you the punk sound that i think you are looking for.

13. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I just bought a Geddy Lee Jazz and I couldn't be happier! :hyper: It just came down to the fact that I wanted a Jazz Bass that felt good, sounded good and looked good and wasn't overly expensive. I shopped around and the Geddy won out. I bought the best bass for me. I'm not going to let the fact that it's a signature model make me think any different about it. I'll play it any place I can. I really don't think that anybody who sees it will recognise it as anything other than a spiffy looking Jazz Bass anyway.

14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I try and try, but I just can't comprehend this issue. I've got two Roscoe Beck Vs, and I play them with pride. Now, if I could play as well as RB, I might want my own sig bass, but I just don't get it otherwise.

What is your fear? Someone might think you're trying to bask in the signatory's glory? Someone might think you have low self-esteem and are trying to make up for it by identifying with the signatory? The signatory might see you playing "his" bass and kick your ass? Someone might think you are the signatory, and credit him with your soulful playing? You're ashamed of your family name, so you play a bass with someone else's name on it? You will be mistaken for someone on the Federal witness program? People will wonder if you signed the name on it yourself? Someone might think you can't even spell your own name? Your pants might fall off in the middle of a set? Your girlfriend will get a bodipka over the signatory? A handwriting expert might analyze your personality on the basis of the signature? What?

I just don't get it. There's something traumatic in your childhood that's causing this. Think it over and get back to me.

15. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It doesn't bother me in the least. My main bass is a Lakland Darryl Jones sig. I've also owned a Joe Osborne Sig, a Bob Glaub sig, and a Fender Duck Dunn sig P, a Marcus Miller sig J, and I never gave it a second though

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Back when I played guitar in several bands I gigged with a Dave Mustaine signature Jackson V. Anytime someone asked me why I was trying to "be Dave Mustaine" I'd just say "Who?" :)

If its a good bass, its a good bass. I'd be all over the ESP Tom Arya signature if I could get it without those silly pentagram inlays, and I'm not a fan of Tom's bass playing in the least. Its a very nicely made bass that sounds and plays great, and that's really all that matters to me. The only catch to this is that signature models are often boosted in price simply because they are "signature". Like the Jaco sig J bass Fender offers now...$3000 for a bass with fake dents and scratches?

Now a Steve DiGiorgio signature fretless I'd be on like sparks on a blow dried kitten!

PS: Who the hell is Mark Hoppus and why does everyone hate him so much?

17. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    The Mark Hoppus will be able to get the same variety of tone as any P-Bass, just add a tone control, it's easy. Then if anyone says Mark Hoppus sucks or whatever point out that Steve Harris has exactly the same elex in his bass, or whatever.

18. I still play my Yamaha RBX6JM "John Myung" signature series 6 string bass.
    The ONLY people who know are the die hard Dream Theater fans.
    Does HIS name make ME play any better...nope. I just like the bass. Thats all that should matter.

19. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Nobody over the age of 30 would ever ask this question . . . think about it . . . . :rolleyes:

20. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    This sort of logic has always left me baffled. A bass is a bass, and a good bass, is just that, a good bass. Who cares who's name is on it?