Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signature Models

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by madskillz, Nov 1, 2002.

Would you buy a signature bass ?

Poll closed Nov 1, 2003.
  1. Yes

117 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    6.9%
  3. Not unless it was my signature bass

19 vote(s)
    7.8%
  4. Maybe, depends

92 vote(s)
    37.6%
  1. madskillz

madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't understand people who buy signature basses. It is like when you walk down the street and you see an 5'6" 145lb. guy with a Lakers jersey on with "O'Neal" on the back. I can get with getting a bass with a brand name, but a persons' name is seems a little weird. Comments ?

2. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I've got a Geddy Lee Jazz bass... hard to beat the GL jazz basses as values for a great bass...

P@

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I don't have any but I've been looking at the Lakland Joe Osborn 5.

4. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I used to own an Alembic Stanley Clarke Signature and I know own an Alembic Mark King Signature.

I've always liked Stanley Clarke. That has nothing to do with why I bought the bass. I bought it because I'd already owned 2 Alembics prior to that and loved them. This one was a step up from the prior two and it was a short scale, which was something I thought I was into at the time.

I owned the Mark King Signature before I'd even heard anything recorded by Mark King. It just happened to be the right model to launch from in speccing out my custom bass. I wanted an Alembic Series II with the point body shape and coco bolo top and back. It costs less to add Series II electronics to a Mark King Deluxe (which has coco bolo standard) than to add coco bolo to a Series II. Go figure.

Bottom line.....both are fantastic basses.

Peace,

James

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Lakland Bob Glaubs are really cool.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Just to add some irony. All three of my basses have actually been signed by at least one of my bass heroes.

4 string signed by Stanley Clarke
    5 string signed by Louis & George Johnson
    6 string signed by Nathan East and Gerald Veasley

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Peace,

James

7. I bought a Jaco Signature relic because it has a beautiful tone and it plays like a dream. I didn't buy it because it was a signature.

If it's a great bass, I really don't care who "inspired" it! :cool:

Jeff

8. I really like the fender roscoe beck, it sounds incredible. I'm not a huge fan of him myself but that bass sounds massive.

9. I have a Spector Rex Brown Signature Model 5 string. I bought it because I liked the look and sound of it. I am not really a Pantera fan and haven't heard much of their music. I couldn't care less who inspired the bass.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I'd buy a signature bass - as long as it doesn't have a big signature on it.

11. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    Gotta agree with the comments about the Fender Roscoe Beck Signature 5. It is a unique instrument and not just a stock model with an artist's name stamped on the peghead. The Roscoe Beck is a bit heavy and the neck is a bit thick but boy, it has some really nice tones. Now the Fieldy Sig...pfft!

12. i have a Geddy Lee jazz and it is the most comfortable bass i have ever played (I havent played anything like a Fodera or Sadowsky, but I've played a lot). Thats why I bought it, not the name.

BTW - The signature on this bass is on the back of the headstock.

13. funkasaurus

funkasaurus

Apr 23, 2001
    Los Angeles
    The only sig model I've ever played is a Geddy Lee. As good as most MIA Jazzes I've tried.

I would never buy a bass just because it was a signature model. But I would never NOT buy a bass because it was a signature model. Just depends on that particular instrument.

14. That's a pretty nice bass, believe it or not.

15. There are some really great sig basses. The Bill Dickens Groove Tools signature is fantastic, and the epiphone jack cassidy is really great as well. There are however some basses that are just a "your signature here" with an extra few hundered bucks, but you have to sift through the dirt to find the gems.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got a Carvin BB75. Just happens to have Bunny Brunel's sig on the HS, but that's not why I bought it.

I liked it best out of all the Carvin models, and at the time it was the only one that featured the wide-neck option.

I wouldn't buy a bass for the signature cache, but if it was a great bass, I'd own it no matter what name was on it. I think...

17. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Most signatures are worthy of purchase, but should not be expected to be exactly what their namesake's would play. Here's one that is played by its creator.

[​IMG]

18. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Just to let you juys here on TB know, I'm a compulsive bass buyer. I like to buy & sell basses & I've had alot. Adding one or 2 signature models, to me, is nothing more than having another good bass. I've had a Geddy Lee JAzz ( I want another one even though I have about 4 Jazz basses already), 2 black Ric's alla Geddy Lee, A black Hohner bass like Geddy's Steinburger, (see a trend? ;))I built a Warmoth bass like Steve Harris' Blue P. HAd a White 4001 alla Chris Squire. Did I buy these basses cause I wanted to be like them, no. I bought them at the time case that's what I liked. I currently am playing Sadowsky's. I didn't buy them cause I wanted to be like Jason Newsted, but he played them & I tried one mainly cause I saw him with them & a few people I worked with @ sam ash were familiar with the Sadwosky name.

19. I voted "Maybe" because the name means nothing at all, only how it plays. I had a Fender RB5 signature bass, and felt it was the best 5-string that Fender makes. I traded it for a Stingray5, then sold the SR5 in favor of a G&L L1500. I found out that 5'ers are not for me.

If one has to get a signature RB5 to get Fender Corp's best 5-string, then so be it.

However, I wanted Leo Fender's best, so I bought a G&L. I will buy another G&L (fretless L2000) when I can afford it.

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    And if its a great Bass, I really dont care whose name is on it, either. :cool: