1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signature series bass... Lame?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fingerpickingood, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I'm a big fan of the band Mastodon, and of their bassist. He has a signature series Squier Mustang bass that runs a mere $300 at GC. Is it lame to purchase a sig series bass?

2. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    It's only lame if you think it's lame. If you like the bass buy it. Simple as that.

BTW....Troy is selling one of his actual tour used basses right now. Buy that instead.

3. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    WHAAAAA??? I gotta check that out!

Zodion likes this.
  4. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
  5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    It's just a tad more expensive...

6. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Couple of bucks.

7. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    Pennies. No big deal. Hm. Jaguar, too. I erroneously had it pegged for a Mustang. How silly of me.

Zodion likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It didn't seem to stop anybody from buying Les Paul's. I wouldn't worry about it.

9. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    That's the ultimate reply. Never thought of it that way.

10. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    A signature bass guitar can be as cool or as lame as YOU think it is. Of course, the signature models are build to the specs of the rightful owner and therefore there is no reason (IMO) that it can be lame. If you want a cool bass, buy the one you like, whether it's a signature bass or not.

Fingerpickingood likes this.
  11. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    It's lame to ask :meh:

12. Troy's only addition is the silver burst..... Grab a usa standard jag if you dont want the name or finish.

MattyH and Fingerpickingood like this.
  13. I find it interesting that a pro player like Troy who I am sure could have any accessory on the planet he wanted....rocks a standard Fender bass bridge.....

14. gnarlyWarlock

gnarlyWarlock

Dec 23, 2014
    I can find many who swear by Geddy's Jazz Bass. As in, consider it the best production Jazz with the one of the fastest necks. Same applies with the Marcus Miller Jazz Sig. Ultimately no - some signature basses are genuinely really good; however, still demo that Mustang before buying it.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  15. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    No.
    The Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller Sig basses are very popular with other bass players because they are just good basses. I use a Tom Araya sig LTD bass that I think sounds awesome.

The Troy Sanders sig Squire is actually a hell of a deal. Its a very capable little bass for the money and does sound or feel cheap at all. I've been impressed with it the two different occasions I had to try one. If I was in the market for a Fender PJ that would be the one I would go for.

16. GigantorTX

GigantorTX

Sep 10, 2012
    Texas
    I've been drooling over that thing for awhile. Now my tax money is here, and I just can't pull the trigger. I need other bass things more than I need other basses at this point, and I haven't been able to clear any room in the stable anyway.

17. Jigsawjaybus

Jigsawjaybus

Feb 17, 2015
    Muskegon Michigan
    I'm just here to drool over other peoples stuff.
    Pretty much what they said. I've never found a signature bass I gave a crap about for the name on the headstock. I like the Mike Dirnt fenders because they're great basses, ditto the hoppus jazz/precision weirdness but I wouldn't buy one for the name on it. Not a fan of either band but both players sound good and the models I've checked out are good instruments regardless. Buy one if you love the way it sounds. Don't buy one if you think it will make you be as cool as whoever got the endorsement deal.

18. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    I toured with a Flea Bass for years. Got nothing but compliments on it. Amazing instrument and graphite neck made fly dates stress free.

19. If it plays good and sound good than...I don´t understand why you wouldn´t.

I have always liked the Yamaha BBNE2 but can´t stand its 17,5 mm string spacing and the glossy neck. I would be all over it if it would have these 2 things.

What´s great is I just got an Yamaha BB605 as a gift. It´s the poor man Nathan East´s Yamaha and it has 19mm at bridge and a satin neck....great!!!!!! I can say I have Nathan East´s Yamaha but without the 2 inconveniences.

20. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY
    Had no idea who Tony Franklin was before I bought his signature bass, it is just simply an amazing instrument