Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signature Series Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MrFortuneCookie, May 29, 2001.

1. I was just wondering what you guys think of the idea of a signature series bass? Do you like the idea? Would you guys ever buy one if you thought it sounded nice or would you stay away because it has someone else's name on it? All your opinions are welcomed and requested.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If it's a good instrument I don't mind if it's designed after some other artist's specs and has their name on it. Why should it matter?

The idea of signature models is a good one, at least for the artist and the manufacturer... :) the artist gets a custom instrument for free (might even be payed for it?) and the manufacturer gets more attention by drafting a famous name to their team.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I had a Stanley Clarke Signature bass for awhile. I bought it because:

1) I loved the way it sounded
    2) I loved the way it looked
    3) I wanted a short scale bass (it's 30.75" scale)

It was one of the better basses I've ever owned. I'm a major Stanley Clarke fan, but his name on it had little to do with the purchase.

I currently have a Mark King Signature bass, which is interesting 'cause I'm not a Mark King fan. Don't DISLIKE him, just not into his music. I bought it because it was the most economical (if you can use economical & Alembic in the same sentence) way to get a coco bolo, point bodied bass with the options I wanted. Even though it's a Mark King Signature, the signature decal was not applied to the headstock. No big deal. It's the BASS that I was after.

Peace,

James

4. Now quick question. Would you play it on Stage?

5. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Again, I can't see why not to.

6. Thanks oyterman and malthumb. Now what do you think about the John Myung signature series? The model is a Yamaha RBX6JM.

7. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I've mostly heard bad words on it and John M himself is yet to get a sound I really like from the thing. But I haven't played it myself so I don't know what I think.
    It sure is pretty, though. :)

8. Well i am definately glad i asked. I was considering making a venture towards one, but if you've heard these bad things, i don't know, maybe it's really not worth the try.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It's ALWAYS worth a try!

10. True, i figure i'll at least try to get other people's opinions, though i do value yours pretty high as that of a well knowledged bass player who word goes somewhere. So thanks. Also, if anyone else also knows anything, as in has any opinions or has heard anything of the John Myung Signature bass, please share it.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I have mixed emotions on mind series instraments in general. It seems everyline, every company has a sig series now. Thats all fine and dandy, but alot of times the signature series is just set up to the players specs. and is made of a different wood than the one the actual artist plays, may have a different pre-amp, p/u, etc. Its a case of what you see may not be what you get. The only sig series bass Id consider is Fenders Roscoe Beck model.

12. The Roscoe Beck, Geddy Lee and Marcus Miller Fenders all seem to get really good reviews.

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I have no problem buying a Sig series bass. I built a Warmoth Geddy Lee J-bass. I had the Fender but sold it in a compulsive buy. I figured it'd be more fun to build another one. I also have a black Ric 4003, it's not a sig model, but it say's GEDDY LEE all over it. :) A few yrs back I almost bought a Wal Geddy Lee bass (see a trend :cool::p) but i did'nt have $3000 @ the time. I have no problem playing them on stage.

As for the John Myung RBX6JM model. Do they make a non Signature model. What is the bass based after? If they make a "stripped down" model, try that. It'll definitly be cheaper & probably play as nice. :)

Good Luck.

14. I have nothing against signature basses, I mean building, owning and using them.

The weird thing is only about absolutely stock instruments with a name label on.

Noel Redding's Jazz bass?

15. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    For me, it really depends on the instrument. I have never owned a signature bass, but that doesn't mean I won't. I'm actually intrigued by the John Entwistle Buzzard (both models) and could see myself buying one if I liked it enough.

But, that said, many signature basses are not the same in production as they are when customized for a particular artist. Take the Rex bass by Spector. Rex Pantera's bass is a US made, $4,000 plus US Spector, all hand made, which is not the same you're likely to find in the store. What you'd find in the store is either a Czech or Korean model Spector. Now, debating over the quality of foreign Spectors (foreign in the US, anyway), is one thing. But, claiming it's actually the model the artist uses is a different story.

Artists often times will endorse a line but either not use it at all or use something that only LOOKS the part, but electronically or structurally is really NOT the same.

16. For the most part Signature basses are mainly a marketing tool to add another bass to a manufacturer's line, but, so what? Look at it this way; Fender already puts out what? six different Jazz Bass models? Now, what would make another model such as the Marcus Miller stand out if they just called it "The hot funky Jazz Bass?" But, call it the Marcus Miller, and instantly you notice it, even if you're not crazy about it. Then you can try it and see if it's any good, but take the name away and you might just think it's a hot rodded Jazz, which essentially it is, and pass it up in the store.

There's also the psychological/ego factor, and we all know what that is: If I buy a bass with Marcus Miller's name on it, maybe it'll make me play like him.

I have an Epi Jack Casady and love it, but if Epiphone had called it " The Bluegrass Bass" or " The Roast Beef Bass", I'd still have bought it for it's sound, but might have thought twice about the name, especially if I didn't have any mayo in the house.

Mike J.

17. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Another signature bass that may be worth considering is the Yamaha Nathan East model. I've only played around with them at Guitar Center, but they seem like a decent bass. The ones I've seen are built well and balance well. On the other hand, if the John Myung basses are as bad as some folks here describe, and they are made by the same maker, what gives?

Peace,

James

18. Yeah, see that's the thing, i'm not sure how it sounds, as in, if it will sound like his or if it will be like a down graded model of his. I'll tell ya what i played today that i thought sounded pretty decent. I tried a Yamaha TRB 6 string Bolt-on. I thought it sounded pretty good. What do you guys think on that bass?

19. I've got a Fender Roscoe Beck RB-5. His name on it had nothing to do with my buying it, or playing it. It has become my main gigging bass.

It's not only the best 5-string I've ever played (must admit that I'm fairly new to 5-string, but I've tried a lot of them), but it's one of the best playing and sounding basses I've ever owned (been playing since 1962). The quality is outstanding and the sound is phenominal. Fender came up with a winner in this one.

Can't speak for other signature basses, only for this one.

20. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You can get a USA REX bass that is made the same exact that he uses. It cost over $3000, which is why no store will probally ever stock a USA REX. They're not made in the Czech repub but are made in Korea. I have one in Trans blue. I only got it because I wanted a Spector w/a different shape than the NS basses.