Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signature solos

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Jun 28, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Hi everybody.

After so many years, I've just re-listened Michael Jackson's "Beat It" and I realized how I forgot Eddie Van Halen's solo in this tune. While listening, I noticed that he perfectly compiled his vocabulary in this solo. As a BIG fan of Eddie's playing, and thinking that this was done when he was at his peak (1982), it gave me chills to hear his style so greatly summarized in such a short space of time.

My question is: Can you recall any other short solos (no more than 16 bars as in "Beat It") in which you feel that a player tried to do his/her best to condense his/her language? Another example that comes to mind is Ace Frehley solo in "Shock Me" (from Kiss' "Love Gun"). Ace, who's another player I admire so much not because of his technical abilities but because he has such a personality and unique voice as a guitarist, also put all of his (limited) vocabulary in this great solo. My examples point to guitar players, but of course I'd like to hear about any instrument (bass included! :hyper: ). Please notice that it's not about "how great this short solo is" but "How this short solo would serve as a player's presentation card". As a counterexample I can mention John Entwistle's "My Generation", which are great short solos, but I don't think they reflect his overall playing (just my opinion. Feel free to correct me if the case). Thank you for your input!

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Hmm, I tend to think of the My Generation solos as one big solo, not lots of mini-solos.

Solos less than 16 bars...well I can't think of any, but for long(guitar) solos: The Stairway to Heaven solo. Clapton's solo on Sunshine of Your Love is excellent too, even if it is stolen from Albert King

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

OK, but putting all parts together it's still a short solo. I've just listened to "Shock Me" again and the solo is 24 bars long. Anyway, what I mean with "short" is "not an extended work".

4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

As for Jimmy Page... maybe "Whole Lotta Love" would qualify? What do you think?

5. For Jimmy Page, the solo from Celebration day. Short , simple, great.

6. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Larry Carlton on Steely Dan's "Kid Charlemagne."

7. Rodriguez

Rodriguez

Nov 6, 2004
    NYC
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification & LaBella Strings
    Alvaro, como estas? There's a short (8 bar) alto solo on Aretha Franklin's "Respect" by King Curtis, pure emotion .... 'nuff said!!!

Easy,
    RR

8. Anything by Kenny G. Always good for short tasteful solos. :spit:

Randy

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    That is a classic...another Carlton gem is "Spiral" on The Crusaders' Those Southern Knights.

More blasts from the past-
    Santana's solo(s) on "Black Magic Woman"
    Hendrix on "Machine Gun"
    McCartney's guitar solo on "Taxman"

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    "Pigs(Three Different Ones)" intro/interlude
    "N.I.B." intro

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Larry LaLonde - Primus - Piltcher's Squad

12. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Hey, Rubén! Glad to hear from you again, man. Thanks everybody for the responses. Keep 'em coming! :cool:

13. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    :rolleyes:

... pentatonic scales