SIGNATURE SPECTOR

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by milo, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    That first one looks as cool as hell but the colour is a little dark imo...:atoz:

2. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Nice, but I'd hardly call those "signature" basses.

Both Doug and Ian play the original solid maple body basses with Hazlab preamps.
    These LX signatures have alder-backs and that tone pump thing. There's no chance in heck you'll ever get the same tone as them.

3. In addition to the new signature basses, check out the new options for the Euro line. Nice! I especially like the 3 pre-amp choices and the EMG TW pickups. That adds a whole lot of tone choices.

4. http://www.spectorbass.com/bass_euro_Euro4LX_Ian.html

Hey, that's not the specs I'd choose for a signature bass!... :scowl: ;)

True, but to make "signature" basses in every regard they'd likely have to be US-built model with the extreme prices that go along with them... and likely sell perhaps 10 of each model. These basically give players the choice of a Spector 4-string with either "J" (Doug) or thin-"P" (Me... err, Ian) necks as well as a much more economical method to come close to either Doug or Ian's tone (although I don't think of Ian Hill when I set my mind to "Exceptional Spector Tone Users" - Doug absolutely, by Ian? IMO the classic Spector sound, but no more). Also, either Aguilar or EMG preamps are now offered from the factory which I imagine give the player a much closer tone.

Very true - it's nice to see that although Spector has raised the prices of their instruments, they're also added significant features to them as well. :D Now if we ReBop players could get the same options available to us... :(

5. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So Doug went from Spector to Ibanez and back to Spector?

6. $3699 list for the Wimbish bass? :eek:

7. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    He used Spectors forever. Used Ibanez maybe what, a year? Then went back to Spectors years ago now.

8. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    Interesting though:
    Doug's specs: Width at nut 1.50", String Spacing at bridge .75", Fingerboard radius 16"

Ian specs: Width at nut 1.64", String Spacing at bridge .75", Fingerboard radius 16" (which looks the same as the LX)

But I wonder about this:
    • We took neck measurements directly from Ian's mid 1980s USA NS-2 basses

hmmmm. I wonder how the necks are different? And I guess I was under the assumption they both played 80's NS2's, so the specs would be the same?

Anyway, I did notice on my Euro the neck seemed thinner than my NS2A (at least in the upper register), which again, I assumed the NS2A and NS2 necks were the same from that era.

I'd really like to try the Doug model, though I can't see laying the cash down for one when used ones are around 1/2 the cost.

9. mikeswals

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Not really. The Czech factory used to use all maple body construction. They should have gone back to that as a signature, and at least with the EMG preamp would have been the closest sound to the orignal Spectors.

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    He used Ibanez for a few years (he had two versions of his signature Ibanez bass), but always played his Spector basses alongside them.

11. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

So besides the finish, are the Hill and the Wimbish signatures basically the same?

12. NS2A

NS2A

Apr 3, 2008
    No.
    Doug's specs: Width at nut 1.50"

Ian specs: Width at nut 1.64",

13. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Doug's is still $1,000 more than Ian's. I assume the cost of acceptable top wood is more on a gloss than solid paint (at least I hope it isn't just nut spacing).

For me, the biggest draw is the US neck at Euro prices.

There's also a US model of the Doug Wimbish bass at $6,999- Making it the most expensive Spector going by MSRP.

Edit: It also looks like that you can get a USA Bolt-On with an EMG MM-TW (Music Man style) and an optional TW at the neck. I for one am really interesting in hearing that.

14. LCMBassist

LCMBassist Guest

Sep 27, 2008
    England
    Look awesome! I wish they'd made the Mike Kroeger sig a Euro......then I'd have bought one. I'm still contemplating modding my Euro LX into a passive set up.....

15. I hope Doug (or his favorite charity) are getting a good percentage. Nothing against Stuart and the gang -- really -- but I'm just astonished by that price on a Czech bass.

When Wimbish was playing with Mick Jagger in the late '80s, Guitar Player ran a long feature on him that included an in-depth write-up of his gear. It said his amber NS2, which I'm assuming is the bass whose dimensions were copied for the signature bass, had its' neck shaved down to resemble a Jazz Bass.

16. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    good thing it's not made in america with all maple wings. it would be expensive then. :smug:

i kid.

that's a price i can't... but even if i could... wouldn't pay.

17. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA

18. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Nov 4, 2008
    San Diego
    Id call them the 'orange one' and the 'black one'

19. dean owens

dean owens

Sep 23, 2008
    pittsboro, nc
    just got an email with all this stuff in there. they also had a shorty bass in there. i was all excited thinking that when my kids (who are 2.5 and 7 months) get older that there would be a cheap used spector shorty for them if they want to play. no sr. not at $3259.00 it's too bad they don't make a shorty in korea so some of the younger smaller people could start off with a spector.