Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signatures on Threads

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RAM, Mar 28, 2001.

1. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Have any of you noticed that some signatures on threads seem to give you a headache?

I've brought this up because as I read some threads, I've noticed some TB'ers who's signature is several lines long, uses several fonts, some bold-face, etc...it's just a headache!:mad:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I don't even bother reading those signatures.

Rule of thumb: If your signature takes more space than your posts, your signature's too long.

Then again, people should have any signature they want.

Will C.:cool:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yeah, RAM, one of the things I incorporated into a course I developed on using the internet was the importance of keeping things balanced between expression and length.

Granted, there is that occasional question that begs one to go off on a rant, perhaps because you know so much about the subject and have to do it justice, or it hits an emotional button.

But as far as the signature thing, I learned quickly to ignore the long ones. I've gotten some enriching ideas from a lot of the short ones. But the long ones I've seen are the products of somebody hung up on over-intellectualizing, (now I don't want to name any names but.... :rolleyes: ) If someone feels better about themselves by having a friggin' novel attached to every post, that's their affair.

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Notice how the people with those signatures have ignored this thread thus far.

Incidentally, I'm very fond of mine. I think it sums up free jazz very well! :D

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm certainly guilty of this myself, but I agree with the over-intellectualizing of stuff!

I've seen some great signatures, though!:D I'm not talking about those great one or two liners that impart some wisdom or wit! Those are better than some of the subjects we discuss!;)

But, some people seem to be billboards for all things in their signatures!:( When I see these, which I generally don't read on purpose, I think to myself that these people should just open their own damned web-page or even start a thread on TB if they have something they want spread!

6. You have the option to not see the sigs. That way, all you see is the post, no sig.

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Or, I can also opt to bitch about those who have ridiculously long signatures and try to advertise everything that they've done or will do within a 6-month period!;)

8. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Sorry.

Better now?

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Oops! How can I bitch about a fellow EBS'er?

Oyster...get your Fafner yet?

10. There's a movie messageboard that I visit, and the sigs there are ridiculous! There's one guy who's got this incredibly long signature, and it's especially annoying when he posts multiple times in a thread with one liners. This is what everyone has to look at EVERY time he posts:

Richard Levine: Roxton is an idiot. He doesn't know enough about anatomy to have sex with his wife. His paper was a joke.

Ian Malcolm: Yes John, but when the pirates of the Caribbean breaks down, the pirates don't eat the tourists.

Ian Malcolm: Why doesn't anyone listen to me? I speak simple English, I don't have an accent as far as I can tell.

Bucky (from Get Fuzzy): Oh come on, are you telling me that you can look at a monkey and not get hungry?

Hawkeye Pierce: What a unique device, the human tush. An architectural wonder, one of a kind... actually two of a kind. Designed to support our weight for a lifetime of sitting it also has the subtlety to do the samba. And when attached to certain members of the female species at a time when light summer dresses are worn can cause some of us to drive our cars straight up a lamppost.

Parrot Heads (and non-Parrot Heads) go here: www.margaritaville.com
    Proud Master of princessNochari.
    Proud Knight of littlewitch.
    Owner of Richard the T-Rex.
    D-ray Kenobi's and Jania_Solo13's internet father.

Quoting Goddamn Jurassic Park, of all movies! And then, on top of that, Jimmy Buffet?? :rolleyes:

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    is mine too long??
    ;)

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    No problem, it really was too long. :D
    No Fafner yet, I'm counting the days... April 16 seems to be when I get it. No matter how long the wait, it's worth it...! :)

13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's a ZINGER!, jazzbo. Good observation. It's only a matter of time till...oh, never mind.

14. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    When you get it, plug in your bass with fresh strings, set your eq, and send me an e-mail 15 minutes later with your comments! I'm looking forward to hearing about it!

15. Uuuuh...I think I'm one of those people being referred to in the original post...:p
    But then again, ever since driver's ed, when we were told to write a short story about our dream cars...well, I had no idea what to write, since I'm not a car fanatic, so...well...cars can be curvy, women can be curvy...
    and now...basses are (usually) curvy, women can be curvy...:D
    I can post my Kaplan mini-story using a bunch of SAT vocab words to try and convince my 'dream date' to go out with me... :p

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

17. I guess mine is pretty long, but I thought it was funny. Found it on Napster, it's a Les Claypool quote.

18. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Mine just say's my fav quote from Spinal Tap!!!!
    And I try to keep it my motto most of the time!

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    BTW: You can disable the sigs in your preferences (edit options).