Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signed for New Year's Eve???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Dec 3, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just wondering how many of you all in bands are set for New Year's Eve, and,

- Happy with the pay?
    - How are you dressing/have to dress for the gig?
    - Anything special in your set lists ?
    - Nice place to play ?

Any other aspects you care to mention ?

NYE gigs never seem like work to me.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Me too. I love em. But it seems not all bass players feel that way. I've had at least 5 gigs offered to me as a dep on NYE, aturally I picked toe one that is going to be the most fun. All of the bass players who called said they would rather party with friends or family. I'd rather party hard and get paid double for it :)

Any Sydney TBers wanna come to St Pats Tavern on NYE, PM me. I'll put you down as crew and get you in for free.............

3. I’m sitting in with a band at the local Polish Hall in Portland. We will be playing techno dance tunes and Polish drinking songs. It should be pretty interesting, and I’m getting paid a decent amount as well… a "win/win" situation as I see it.;)

4. rickbass

Bassin' - That is definitely "different".....sort of a "Rave-l-basa". Are the cabbages spiked with X ? Do they polka with glow sticks ? ;)

I like the fact that we get offers from out-of-town since those party promoters figure their local bands wouldn't make it seem "special".....(i.e., they can hike the ticket prices).

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have a great solo gig. We have a "First Night" here in wonderful Saratoga Springs, NY. I share a window (get to that later) with a singer. We alternate sets. Start at 8:00 and are all wrapped up by 11:00. Pay is triple. Still time to see the fireworks

In Saratoga first night, there is a lot going on in the streets. Different musicians play in storefront windows along the main drag.

Mike

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I'm looking forward to New Year's Eve - my band is the main stage act at Chicago's Drake Hotel Magnificent Mile Gala. Should be a fun night.
    Interestingly, load-in and sound check are actually on Dec. 30. While it would be fun to party with friends, this is one of those "career" gigs I wouldn't want to pass up!

Check it out:
    http://www.chicago-scene.com/cs-parties/2003/nye03.htm

Lonnybass
    www.theparamours.com

7. rickbass

After load-out, I'd offer myself as a designated driver at either Mike's or Lonny's gig. WOW!!!

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Doing a private party west of San Antonio (in a barn the homeowner *flew in* from New England and refurbished!), with a R&B variety group. The cool thing is my wife is the singer for the gig, and we're making 5 bills each!:cool:

9. Playing a biker-type bar in Ogden for New Year's. I asked the guitarist (who booked the gig) how much we were getting and he said $250.

Split 5 ways.

$50 lame bucks a piece.

I need a new band...(which is in the works).....:bawl:

10. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

No gig on the 31st. But lotsa gigs peppered around it.

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I consider New Years Eve to me MY night. If I don't make a certain amount of money, I refuse to work. I work too many underpaid gigs all year long to be exploited on a night when everyone else is making a killing. The millenium new years I set a certain price (quite high) and refused many offers. It probably worked out for the best as that night was a bust and some club owner would have tried to stiff me;)

12. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I have a Great New Years Gig. Its a tux gig. We are playing at a country club. They always have good food and drink and the $$$$ is GREAT :D :D :D

13. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have no gig for the first time in 4 years. The singer and drummer are brothers and are going to Vegas to visit Dad. Their Dad is really cool so I don't mind.:cool: I guess my wife will try to drag me out someplace. I stopped drinking 12 years ago so being out in a bar and not playing music seems like a waste of time. Maybe I'll at least get in a fight or something.:D

14. rickbass

Look on the positive side, lots of beautiful drunk chicks who want to lip-lock a musician at midnight!

15. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    It better be my wife or I WILL get into a fight! :eek:

16. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Yes, drunk New Years revelers (particularly of the female variety) should make this night extra-exciting! We did the gig at the Drake last year as well...check out the link to see "crowd photos" to get an idea what is in store for this year! Oooh YEAH!!! I can't WAIT!

http://www.chicago-scene.com/2002photohtm/12-31-02-drake-a.htm

Lonnybass

17. rickbass

It's so much FUN!!! 'm so glad for all you guys.

Beyond the pay, like Mike Dimin, who is a star, it just makes you feel so good!!!!

18. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Oh sorry, I forgot to answer a few of the original questions about our New Years Eve attire and setlists. The band is planning to wear "dress party" clothes - our standard "formal" gig attire. Basically, this includes a styled white long-sleeve shirt and black dress pants. (check out photos from our recent Green Tie Ball gig at http://www.theparamours.com/GreenTieBall/index.html to get an idea what this kind of stage getup looks like. It has a certain rock star appeal while still maintaining ties to the tuxedo family.

Our setlist is rock/dance party tunes - musical comfort food intended to keep the masses shakin' it on the dance floor for three hours.

Load-in will be an interesting experience, as our gear will have to be delivered through a semi-truck bay, brought down a flight of stairs, then wheeled right through the main lobby to the freight elevators. Not to mention what it will be like to find parking on Michigan Ave.!

As I mentioned in a previous post, the production company will allow us to set up and test the backline on Dec. 30, and will be doing a full sound check with the band for the venue at 1 p.m. on New Years Eve day for the 10:30 p.m. show.

And my parents will be coming to see the show too! How cool is THAT?

Lonnybass

19. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I'm not gonna play this NYE, but I have played 3 times, and it's always great:)

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

This is the first New Year's Eve in several years that I don't have a paying gig. But I am playing at church. We are going to have a praise & worship(singing/playing only) service from 8:00 until whenever.