Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Signed pickguard, what to do?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Oct 7, 2005.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    So I went to see the Pat Metheny Trio earlier, and I ended up meeting Christian McBride and Pat Metheny, and they both signed the pickguard on my Lakland J04 :bassist: . So now I have a dilemna, do I

a. leave the pickguard on the bass as is and risk having the signatures worn off.

b. Use something to seal the signatures (tape, poly, epoxy...)

c. get a new pickguard and let this one sit around safely collecting dust.

Any insights, suggestions, comments?

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    D. Get a new pickguard and sell that one on ebay to some obsessive internet fan, then buy another Lakeland :)

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    As long as you play the bass often, C would be my choice.

4. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    C. of course.

5. My pickguard on my guitar is signed by Claypool, Buckethead and Brain and it is still on my guitar that I play every other day. It's signed in the lower part and I'm good about not hitting the pickguard with the pick so they are fine, but once I get the $$ I'm getting a new pickguard.

6. How about D: Formula 409 spray cleaner. As long as it isn't a permanent marker, you should be able to get it out.

Randy

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    C. I think it looks super cheesey when I see someone gigging out with a signed guitar.

8. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Thanks for the replies. I'm actually surprised at the results, you guys are usually opposed to leaving things sitting around due to their value. Maybe Jeannie's will be getting call soon...