1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Signed up for martial arts courses! Anyone else into that kind of stuff?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ArvindJayaram, Sep 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Needed to find something to challenge myself (after the bus thread that got closed while I was AWOL haha) and I figured it would be great to get into martial arts.

Signed up at a local MMA group that has a fight club and good facilities. May be a while before I get to fight anyone, but it sure is interesting to learn how to fight.

They have courses in boxing, muay Thai, Brazilian jujitsu, wrestling, and MMA.

I'm actually quite eager to get into some local competitions once I have progressed a couple of levels.

Anyone else into that kind of thing? It sure is a great workout!

Spidey2112, gregouille23 and GKon like this.
  2. Might be really nerdy, and I don't actively participate myself, but I enjoy researching HEMA. That's historical European martial arts and is basically every form of melee practiced in Europe throughout history (fencing, swordfighting, axes, spears, shields... etc). I'm big into European history and anthropology so it goes along with that. I'd love to participate as well of there was anywhere local to.

ArvindJayaram, mikewalker and GKon like this.
  3. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    Not sure how old you are, but that makes a difference on how to approach Martial Arts. Don't believe what you see on TV. It hard to throw a knockout punch, or a disabling kick as long as you stay away from joints.
    The quality of instructors is paramount. Some instructors are in it for the money. Good instructors work very hard to keep you from being injured. They should also work very hard in keeping you from injuring someone else.

I took ten stitches under my right eye at my first tournament. Got good enough to realize just about every waitress in any bar I went to was capable of dropping me.

ArvindJayaram, Spidey2112 and GKon like this.
  4. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    I'm a jiu jitsu player myself. Been out of it since my kid was born in July, really gotta get back to the gym! Great workout and fun to learn.

5. It's hard to play with broken or twisted fingers.... Good luck!

ArvindJayaram and GKon like this.
  6. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    Yeah, take care of your fingers. I've had a pretty fair amount of experience boxing, wrestling, and practicing the army's version of bjj. I've broken both thumbs, my right pinky, and had jersey finger on my left ring finger (had to have surgery on that one about 5 years ago, you can still find the thread under tendon repair). Great fun though!

ArvindJayaram and GKon like this.
  7. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I been wanting to do some serious Tai Chi, not the same but something I really wanna get into. Not just a rinky dink community class, but real deal Tai Chi.

8. AztecViking

AztecViking Supporting Member

Oct 12, 2010
    EndlessSummerVille, CA
    I've heard through the bass grapevine that Ray Riendeau is also into the martial arts but you'll need to research that for yourself. His solo releases are just too much for me bass-wise. And in that regard he really does NOT inspire me. He more makes me want to quit. :laugh:
    ray_riendeau_1.jpg
    In contrast to Ray though is Doug Johns ( who's also an auto racing engine builder and is not a martial arts enthusiast ) Doug somehow DOES indeed inspire me to play. Despite his bass playing also being "impossible" to duplicate. Not sure why Ray Riendeau makes me want to quit but Doug Johns keeps me going inspirationally. :laugh:
    dougjohns.jpg

Needs more scientific research.:cool:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    ArvindJayaram and Spidey2112 like this.
  9. Great stuff man! I started Tae Kwon Do a few years ago, because I wanted to challenge myself and because somehow I always had wanted to do martial arts but never actually did it.

What a blast, I enjoyed it a lot and it taught me a lot about myself as well. On top of it, it's a great workout for the whole body. And Tae Kwon Do is quite ok to do in parallel with bass as you mostly use your legs (very little punches).

I had to quit because of arthosis in my knee (and I am only 33...). That sucks, but I moved on to swimming now to stay fit. Not as exciting, but stopping sport altogether was not an option.

Best of luck with your new hobby ;)

10. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Did that for three years. This was a martial arts Tai Chi school - we did every form and qi gong slowly, like you see it in parks, but always looking for practical real-life use for every grip or move. I loved to spar with master teacher, and his way of having fun was to try to pinch me as hard as he could :laugh: It was great fun, even though I had to use ice couple of times.

History of Tai Chi is interesting, it is a martial art developed for very close combat in a crowdy battle. After war, soldiers that mastered it, made great bodyguards for rich traders. Strenght was built with slow but very intense trainings. Punches are "steel wrapped in cotton". But, during centuries, it mellowed down in combat use, but continued to be practised because of health benefits.

During my regular training, my posture was great, my back was strong and although I lacked big muscules, I was much stronger than I looked...

BurnOut and ArvindJayaram like this.
  11. I've done a bit of non-professional fighting, but the craziest fight I've been in was when I was mugged in Mumbai. First a couple of bottles across my head and then being smashed with these pavement blocks that were lying around waiting to be fit in. Two on one, I'm surprised I walked away from that one, though I had to get 12 (or was it 15?) stitches on the back of my head. I was soaked in blood by the end of it.

Nice, I really want to know how to do some of that ju jitsu stuff. "Ground game" as they keep saying on fight night.

Thanks! I hear you, got to hope I don't get injured, that's what the wraps and gloves are for.

Thanks, man. I intend to! Easier said than done though, and I'm only in the training stages too.

12. I took Judo when I was a kid. I really liked it and I made it to rank Yellow belt, however my parents later could no longer afford it so I had to quit. I often wondered about getting back into it.

13. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    All of that is exactly why it appeals to me. Good to hear your reinforcement on my plan, thanks.

14. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Just a word of warning: chinese never institutionalised their martial arts. It is very easy for a westerner to travel there, take expencive lessons and pay a lot for a certificate, but get questionable knowledge :( Then you have quack, teaching you how to create invisible mana ball. People like mystery, so there is always someone ready to sell it. Be carefull and use your reasoning :)
    Tai chi has lots of elusive terms, but good teacher will use biomechanics instead of magic when explaining. Good luck :)

BurnOut and P_Robyn like this.
  15. Drgonzonm

Drgonzonm

Sep 4, 2017
    American SW
    I studied and taught Chung do kwan, very much an art. Some of the techniques result in having a locked elbow, within the art there is a reason for that, but on the street, you are looking for a dislocated elbow.
    My instructors who happened to be my two oldest children's instructors appeared on covers of martial arts magazines.
    My students participated in AAU activities, both on a Karate and Tae kwon do sides. Some medalling on a national level. Very different tournament rules. Participating in under both sets of rules gave my students better skills. I encouraged my students to wrestle, (develop a ground game), and to participate in other sports, (improve hand eye coordination)
    I also studied Tai Chi, from someone that I knew was a master, he also taught other martial arts. That gentle man, was so humble, he never claimed to a master. From him, I changed the way I ran my classes.
    I found Tai Chi to be the most difficult of the martial arts I studied.

As I said, most waitresses are capable of cleaning my clock.

Regarding costs, we started at $5.00/mo, and settled on $10.00/mo. If a student couldn't afford it, I had a group of adults that covered their training costs.
    Any tournament out of town 90%, our program paid half the tournament fees, paid for meals. and we visited zoos, museums. (Some of the participants had a day at Disney, a day at Cape Canaveral, and a day at the beach). Generally, when we got back to town, the kids didn't talk about the tournament, they talked about the other activities. With out a doubt our martial arts program was successful.

Bottom line, Martial Arts can be journey that will totally enrich your life.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    BurnOut and nolezmaj like this.
  16. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Sounds like your instructor was teaching you Olympic-style Tae Kwon Do. I'm a 2nd degree black belt in TKD, and the traditional style is a good balance between punches and kicks. The lame scoring system in the Olympics encourages more kicking.

But I agree, it's a great workout. We started class with a lot of push ups and ab exercises. We also incorporated other styles for self-defense and one steps such as Jun Fan and Kali. Good fun and very practical.

17. Got a black belt in judo a long time ago and used to compete. My advice is to take it slow, stretch, get a good mouth guard,
    Start a daily cardio/body weight work out on the side. Rome wasn't built in a day so have fun!!!

18. CZGunslinger

CZGunslinger

Jan 16, 2008
    Arkansas
    Shotokan karate since 1997. Couple of vacations from it due to kids. Have broken multiple fingers and right wrist twice, it will affect your playing, and not in a good way.

AztecViking likes this.
  19. BurnOut

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Understand and thanks for the heads up. I'm not one to look for magical leaders. I study things pretty hard before I leap, almost to a fault.
    I used to do a lot of stuff with native Americans back when, saw many things just like you described with them. There is good and bad all over.
    I do believe here in Cincy we have a pretty major respected school for it called The White Willow School of Tai Chi. But I think they are pretty pricey though.

nolezmaj likes this.