1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Significant Hum on Ibanez SR750

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Engima999, Jan 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Engima999

Engima999

Jan 5, 2018
    I have SR750 (<1 year old) which has a significant hum problem. sr750_ntf_1p_07-.

Bass has P/J configuration, passive Norstrand pickups with active electronics, active/passive bypass switch - love the tone variations I could get, and playability is great!

Took it back to the store twice already, first time they said they fixed it but hum remained, so back it went. They said they don't hear a hum at all and suggested to turn the treble all the way down to compensate, which did reduce the hum but I hate the tone - it sounds too boomy and rough, no clarity.

Initial setup was Guitar -> Head unit/amp -> Mixer -> in-ear (Avioms)/main speakers.

Changed setup to: Bass -> DI (tried both active and passive, ground/lift, pad, etc.) -> Mixer -> Avioms/mains
    2nd setup was better but still considerable hum heard, and the sound guy doesn't like it.

Considering swapping for another bass - possibly Fender Jazz.

Don't want to spend too much to get to checked for grounding/shielding fix and it's not guaranteed if it will fix the hum or not.

Thoughts?

2. To check if you can solve this with a shielding job,,,
    plug your instrument as directly as you can to the speakers, instrument > amp > speakers
    When the noise is happening, does touching the active/passive switch stop the noise, or at least reduce it a lot?

If so, get it shielded, or do it yourself.
    also check with another bass as well, just to make sure it's not something else in the signal chain

Engima999 likes this.
  3. Wild_Cat

Wild_Cat

Feb 14, 2009
    Montréal, QC
    Dumb question: does the hum stop when you solo the neck (P) pickup?

If so, I have bad news for you: the bridge pickup is a single-coil, so you will always get hum when using it. Your option is to replace it with a Nordstrand Big Split.

Also note that a Fender Jazz Bass will suffer from the exact same problem, *except* when both pickups are on full (they're RWRP so the hum from the bridge pickup cancels out the hum from the neck pickup).

If you want to swap that bass out for another and like the way this one plays, I recommend an Ibanez SR500 or 600. It's esssentially the same instrument, except the pickups are Bartolini Mk1. They don't sound as good as the CND in the 750 (still pretty good though), but they're hum-canceling split-coils.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Engima999 likes this.
  4. Engima999

Engima999

Jan 5, 2018
    Thanks!
    Generally speaking, the hum goes away when I touch any metal portion of the bass including pots, active/passive switch, nuts, and strings ofcourse.

Hum is significantly low if plugged directly into the amp and speaker (bypassing the mixer/auditorium speakers) and I don't need to touch the strings. But, as soon as the signal is routed through the mixer/main speakers... the hum is back with a vengence.

I've tried few other bases SR500, SR Gio, and Fender Jazz through the full sound system, and none of them had a hum.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. Engima999

Engima999

Jan 5, 2018
    Great question, not a dumb one at all - I did try toggling between neck and bridge pickup and yes, there is a big difference in hum level when I solo the neck pickup.

Played a Fender Jazz and SR500 bass in the mixer setup and both did not have a hum.

I know what you mean, CNDs do have a nice tone - which I really like. Im going to loan SR600 and see if the hum is better/manageable.

6. Engima999

Engima999

Jan 5, 2018
    Just a quick update folks... the hum seemed to get worse by the day... so had to bite the bullet and swapped it out for a MIM Fender FSR Deluxe Special Precision Bass... Test runs were amaxing, yet to play it to it's potential.
    lg_d7fa59e93c69ba9e0f83cd3ad7ba02ca.

Specs Summary below:
    Model Name: FSR Deluxe P Bass® Special
    Series: DELUXE SERIES
    Body: Alder, (Precision Bass® Body)
    Neck: Maple, (Jazz Bass® Neck with Precision Bass® Special Decal)
    Fingerboard: Maple, (9.5" Radius/241 mm)
    No. of Frets: 20 Medium Jumbo Frets
    Scale Length: 34" (864 mm)
    Bridge: Leo Quan Badass® II with Grooved Saddles
    Pickups: 1 Vintage Special Precision Bass® Pickup (Mid), 1 Vintage Special Noiseless Jazz Bass® (Bridge)

7. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A hum that goes away when you touch metal/strings/bridge indicates RF interference. Shielding would resolve the issue. I know it is too late for your Ibanez but you bought a Fender, there is a good chance it will need shielding.

Engima999 likes this.
  8. Engima999

Engima999

Jan 5, 2018
    I am hoping the noiseless J pickup, would minimize (if not eliminate) the hum. The hum was almost non-existent at the music store - plugged into multiple headunits and speakers, & amp/speaker combos.
    Will be playing at my primary venue in a couple of weeks - that will be the real test. Will share the findings.

9. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A "noiseless" pickup/humbucker is designed to stop 60hz hum. If you had a hum that was constant when you added in the J pickup, that would resolve your issue. You have a noise that stops when you touch metal/strings/bridge which indicates RF interference, not 60hz. RF interference is addressed by shielding. The noise will also be location dependent. You may get a hum at home that does not occur at the store. Single coil pickups or a bad shielding job means your bass is susceptible to hum, it doesn't mean the bass will always hum.