1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Significant Moments in Bass History

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassaficionado6, Feb 25, 2008.

1. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    So, in my ever constant struggle to learn more about the bass, I was just wondering about some significant moments in bass history (I also happen to have a senior project based on this very topic:D). Stuff like first time somebody was recognized to slap or tap or when some variation of the bass was created or important players, etc. would be really great, preferably the more obscure ones. Any help you guys can give would be greatly appreciated.

2. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    John Entwistle; the solo in "My Generation"

3. leo fender,who was a radio repair man who turned to making guitars and amps, developed the first widely available bass guitar in 1951 at a time when the bassist in a band would be stuck with a large and barely audible instrument the DB (what leo called "the doghouse" lol)

in 1951 leo came up with the FENDER PRECISION BASS for $195.50/70punds which eqautes to ~$1,400/800punds now

in 1960 fender's next design the jazz bass was introduced

the first bass guitar to feature an active circuit was a semi-solid Burns TR-2, launched by british guitar makes jim burns in 1963 (it had an onboard 9V battery to power an active volume, bass, treble circuit)

ps: i dont have all this exactly up my memory but it just happened i was reading a book when i saw this thread so i just flipped a few pages and typed it down :p

4. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    Thanks, I actually changed my topic today, because apparently we aren't allowed to do "history's of". However, I'd still like to hear from you guys, because I am still on a neverending quest and all that jazz. :D

5. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    In 1984, Jonas Hellborg released "Elegant Punk".

6. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    James Brown hires Bootsy Collins around 1968. The bass guitar was never viewed the same again.