1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signs a person or band isn't for you...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LBS-bass

LBS-bass Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2017
    California
    If somebody gives me a long list of songs with no explanation, I assume they know all of them and I get to choose which ones I want to focus on. I will come into an audition prepared with as many as I have had time to prep and will let them know what I worked on, and will say no if they call something I didn't prepare. That one's easy.

Politics has become much more divisive in recent years than it used to be. I don't have to be best friends with everyone I play music with. It's more fun to hang out with people who have views I respect, but it's not a deal breaker. On social media, there are ways to fix it so that not everyone can see everything I post. I do this with anyone new I add to my FB page until I get a chance to see what their views are- if ever. They might well be doing the same thing and if that's the case it's always going to be puppies and kittens, which is okay with me.

2. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey

Mar 8, 2015
    I dont know if it's just music style or geographic region or age or what, but I've never had to deal with heavy drug use or ex cons, etc... like some people here seem to.

The worst I get usually are neurotic and/or unreliable people fortunately.

3. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    Any 1 of these 5 would be a dealbreaker for me.

4. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

1. People showing up for, or getting drunk or stoned during rehearsals.
    2. Members consistently unprepared for rehearsals.
    3. Excessive rescheduling or cancellations.
    4. Excessive volume.
    5. Chronic tuning issues or ongoing trouble keeping time.
    6. Chronic dishonesty on the part of the BL - or other band Members if they're allowed to remain in the band.
    7. Not gig ready within 3 months for an all originals band, or three rehearsals for a cover band.

jamro217 likes this.
  5. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    My latest warning sign/pet peeve is cover band mates that "figure out" the songs enough to get through them, but then never work out details or work on them outside of band practice under the guise of "playing it our way".

6. whero

whero

Aug 28, 2016
    New Zealand
    Having lived in Oz for many years, I've heard/heard of TISM but had no idea of their origin story. So I just looked it up on Wikipedia and saw one of the band names they used was Late for Breakfast. The band I referred to went by that name for our first few paying gigs, so maybe it was TISM, and I just didn't know? But then I'd have been living in Australia and named Jock Cheese, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't.

Mr_Moo, EddiePlaysBass and Kriegs like this.
  7. Deak

Deak Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Kansas
    I think I hear helicopters . . . Black Helicopters. :nailbiting:

8. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Yup, those are some pretty good indicators that you need to lie down and avoid them.

9. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    1) bad breath..2) the guy has got a fat ugly girlfriend..

jamro217 likes this.
  10. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    When they start screaming at me to get out, then I know the band isn't for me.

getbent, Wisebass, whero and 13 others like this.
  11. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    We recently auditioned a lead guitarist, who insisted he 'play in his socks'...

... near the end of his audition, I realized he had said, 'his play sucks'...

... looking back, he did have nice socks, though.

12. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS x infinity ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

13. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I care... how'd your day go?

Wisebass and Jimmy4string like this.
  14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg Keyboards
    I won't berate anyone about their political leanings but I don't want to be subject to it either. I recently unfriended someone on Facebook whom I have known for 40 years because he kept posting comments attacking a politician, sometimes as many as 4 or 5 per hour. There's too much negativity in the world and I just got tired of seeing it. People must have a very sad life when all they do is post attacks on other people. I also recently turned down a high profile band because the lead singer constantly puts up posts bashing the government. I don't care what someone believes but I don't want to be subject to it all the time. Two things I never discuss with anybody, politics and religion.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  15. TjMetalhead

TjMetalhead Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2011
    New Mexico
    1. Blaming others for their mistakes.
    2. Racist, homophobic, sexist remarks, and all around rude demeanor.
    3. Forgetting their parts and/or putting in no effort to learn their parts.
    4. Being late without any warning.
    5. Bailing practices or gigs at the last minute.
    6. Not being a team player or trying to take too much control (If I'm leading the band).
    7. Mooching.
    8. Wasting my time.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Mr_Moo, ELynx, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  16. twinjet

twinjet What does God need with a starship?

Sep 23, 2008
    Well hey, there. Went well. Yours?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  17. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not so well... I actually referred to the group Matchbox 20 as Matchbox 40...

... I'm scrambling for a saving joke, and I've got nothing...

... other than that world crumbling item, the day was good.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Jimmy4string, TheReceder and twinjet like this.
  18. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2016
    California
    The ones to worry about are the one you can't hear!:cool:

Wisebass, Deak, ELynx and 1 other person like this.
  19. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    Lack of progress, leadership, or direction are typically the main factors for me although issues with volume, tempo, or general music ability will creep in on rare occasion.

I recently left a group due to us having a drummer who would regularly cancel last minute on rehearsals. The guitarist/BL would insist on the rest of us getting together, but the resulting rehearsal would always end up being a waste of time. I told the BL we needed a new drummer, he was unwilling to do anything, so I left. I don't see the point in wasting my time on a lost cause.

oldrocker likes this.
  20. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I’m at a point where I now only play with aholes i already know