1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signs a person or band isn't for you...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Too accurate!

jamro217 likes this.
  2. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    1) You don't like songs that everyone else in the band does.
    2) Your getting gear changes, designing merchandise, setting up web pages, recording/presenting new song ideas, spending money and time (in general) on moving the band forward, but no one else is.
    3) Everytime you play a song, either the tempo or arrangement altogether changes.
    4) No one has anything to say about songs until after we've already recorded them. Then, after we've been the playing a song for 2 years, all over the place, they want to change it. And, expect me to cover my portion of the studio time to re-record. Then, when it's all said and done, I don't like it.

That last one was the deal breaker. Although, the other points had me contemplating the leave a good long time ago.

3. Gnorr

Gnorr

Oct 25, 2017
    I was a founding member in a band for 11 years. I loved playing, I liked my band mates, I created and maintained the band website, Facebook page, etc... And then one day the band got booked in a high end restaurant. I assumed it was just another gig. We were told to "play quietly". Keep in mind we were a rock'n'roll/R&B cover band that liked to fill the dance floor (there was no dance floor in this place).
    Well, for some reason they liked us (we were a pretty tight band after 11 years). They booked us for the next three months. We gradually went from being a rock'n'roll party band to playing "dinner music". I started dreading the gigs. I have never dreaded a gig in my life! One member quit. Then when they booked us for three more months, that's when I left. I'm too old to play gigs where I'm not having any fun. It had become a job, and I already have one of those.

4. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    IMO there needs to be a drummer at rehearsal. Probably the only member you can't rehearse without.

jmattbassplaya likes this.
  5. They're only half as good as Matchbox 80.;)

6. If you can't through one rehearsal without an argument or some other drama.
    Lack of musical direction and/or desired image.
    Laziness, apathy.
    Drugs, booze, anything illegal.
    BIG EGOS!!!

7. Thumpin6string

Thumpin6string Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Redding CA
    They don't invite you to practice or to gigs.

8. There is no getting around the fact that when you are in a high-profile public endeavor like the entertainment industry, where winning people over is a big part of the deal, and you feel compelled to spill your political guts on social media, you are setting yourself up to be not only judged but condemned by as much as half of all people who see your political posts, including potential audience members, talent buyers, and fellow musicians. The risk and potential harm to your reputation of turning half of those people against you is just too great in my book. I'll just keep my mouth shut and express my views to only a few close trusted friends in private, letters to my elected officials, and at the voting booth.

As for the rest, in a general sense, look for the overall goals, standards, and direction of the project and people (or lack thereof) and listen to the still small voice in the back of your mind.

9. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    From what I hear, the old Matchbox 80 is the new Matchbox 50...

whero and jamro217 like this.
  10. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    1. They don't have a common frame of musical reference.
    2. They drink bad beer.
    3. They don't drink.
    4. They take drugs.
    5. They have more than one or two drinks before and/or during rehearsal.
    6. They have more than one or two drinks before and/or during a show.
    7. They make a point of discussing hot-button issues like it's a challenge to argue with them if you don't agree
    8. They are not good players
    9. They are such good players that you're embarrassed to be seen with them.
    10. They are such good players that they're embarrassed to be seen with you.

IamGroot and Deak like this.
  11. I'm having trouble even getting to the point of knowing there's a problem with band mates. A couple of ads I have out in the usual places are very specific about what I'm looking for but I guess people are so hard up for a bass player they'll invite anyone with a bass, or that knows what a bass looks like, to an audition.

Having said that, once politics or religion get brought up by a group I hardly know, like at first auditions or call backs, I'm out.

Jimmy4string likes this.
  12. whero

whero

Aug 28, 2016
    New Zealand
    Rob Thomas was in his 20s when Yourself Or Someone Like You was released in 1996. They've been Matchbox 40 since 2016, when Rob was 44. In 2026 they plan to adopt the Roman numerals/Superbowl numbering system and become Matchbox L, before returning to Matchbox 60 in 2036.

Spidey2112 and Deak like this.
  13. Spectre1966

Spectre1966 Striving For Mediocrity Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2014
    Wallingford, CT
    Signs that some of my former bands weren’t right for me (yup these all happened to me):

- During practice, the rest of the band stopped every 15 mins to smoke weed.
    - Singer got so drunk by end of FIRST set he was tossing his cookies on the stage.
    - Drummer needed 30 mins before each practice to tune his drum kit
    - Guitarist decided after 2 years he wanted to take the band in a new musical direction
    - Guitarist was always broke and leeching cash from me all the time.
    - Singer insisted his tone deaf girlfriend always sing a few songs at every show
    - I was the only one promoting the band and getting gigs
    - Other band members standing in front of bar smoking weed between sets with bar owner
    - Guitarist showed up to every gig with a dozen guitars that took up most of the stage.
    - Band played every other song down half a step so guitarist changed guitars after each song
    - Singer never engaged crowd and we had 20-30 secs of dead air between songs
    - Singer liked to randomly shuffle the pre arranged set list during a gig
    - Drummer changed tempo every 15 secs
    - Singer can’t sing for the life of her, but the rest of the band is scared to do anything about it.
    - Singer shows up to gigs 10 mins before (or in one case 45 mins into) a show
    - 10 secs after the last note of the last song, Singer is headed out the door.
    - Drummer spills beer on my pedal board then blames me for having it too close to his beer.
    - Band leader spends money we gave him for rehearsal space to pay his rent and we get locked out of the room with no access to our gear.
    - Band tells you to learn 5 songs for audition, you learn them, then the day of the audition they tell you they brought their old bass player back (the one they previously insulted for 30 mins)
    - Band tells you to learn 5 songs, you learn them, then you audition, get the job, and they ask you if you know anyone who sells meth.
    - Band tells you to learn 5 songs, you learn them, you go to the audition and the address you were given doesn’t exist and band no longer answers your calls.
    - Band tells you to pick songs, you pick a bunch from their set list, you audition, they don’t know any of the songs you picked off their set list.

Wisebass, Phud, Jimmy4string and 4 others like this.
  14. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    1- they play a style which you don't like. (this is a mandatory for me. If I don't like it , I don't play it)
    2- they are grown a** men but still they dress/act/talk like teenagers
    3- the three big turn offs : homophobia , sexism or racism...
    4- they don't listen whats happening musically
    5- they show unprepared to rehearsals/gigs
    6- lack of self control with alcohol and or another substances . I don't mind if someones gets drunk or high..but ever before a show or a rehearsal.

SLIV and Mr_Moo like this.
  15. BigBasserino

BigBasserino

Apr 30, 2017
    Sounds like you were playing with real champions :D . Luckily my experiences total less than half of that.

So far the things that get me are lead singers who want to call the shots but know jack about music (it's worse when they tell you they were "on the cusp of getting signed" with another band), motor mouths that shut up when they're finally stumped, or people that want to tell me how to play. Oh and bands that can't balance out goals with monetary dues ("how much is it to record? Well, better start adding an extra 10 each to rehearsal due, just in case.")

16. Droopy_TX

Droopy_TX

Jul 17, 2016
    Houston
    I've experienced this!

But, hey, I learned 5 new songs out of the deal; songs of a genre I likely would never have thought to play. I added them to my audition videos. So, no total loss.

17. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    here's one that I should've paid attention to a year ago with a band

* I'm the 5th bass player in 3 years in the band, and their explanations as to why the other 4 (which all left the band - nobody was fired) all pointed to what they believed were the character and personality defects of each bassist.

Then I figured out why the others left - the band kinda sucked and the biggest suck-ee was the BL/guitarist.

I was gone within a few months after 4 lame gigs. And glad of it

oldrocker and Spidey2112 like this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    LOL! RED FLAG!!! RED FLAG!!!

ezra1, Wisebass, IamGroot and 2 others like this.
  19. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    they are on their 7th bass player already (eg, 2 more since I left 13 months ago) and he looks like a complete goof.

oh and they lost their 3rd and 4th drummer in 3 years, and now their singer (who honestly was really the good one in the band).

JimmyM likes this.
  20. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    These happened to me too!

Jimmy4string and Spectre1966 like this.