1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signs a person or band isn't for you...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by glocke1, May 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I'd pay money to see this movie...

Spectre1966 likes this.
  2. bearfoot

bearfoot

Jan 27, 2005
    schenectady, ny
    I enjoy discussing issues, and do post about them occasionally on the dying FB platform.

I understand and accept this means a segment of people who are friends and acquaintances will be offended if I don't agree with them. Free speech tends to be offensive.

I don't use FB for music promotion. If I did, I wouldn't use the platform for philosophy and politics.

Views do change as a result of honest discussion. Most people don't do that, they just talk about their feelings and insist that their feelings = truth.

Anyway, my contribution to Red Flags is:

1) "We've been trying for (x number of years) to find a guitar/bass/drummer so we can play out!"

these people will never play out

Jimmy4string likes this.

3. For people new to playing with bands - this post has some helpful tips about sorting out where you stand with playing in bands - what you want to get out of it and how to make the tough choices about when to call it a day or say no to a project.

Vesni | Home | MUSIC

4. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    When the term “classic” means the guitarist hasn’t learned a new song in 30 years and then says, “ I don’t have a computer, so I can’t watch that”...I kid you not, this guy couldn’t get “Keep Your Hands to Yourself”or even “Taking Care of Business.”, without a rehearsal and then, when he couldn’t play them right away, said he didn’t like the songs anyway. That’s what happens when your band comes from Craigslist.

oldrocker likes this.
  5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    To be honest, having heard both songs countless times.. I can't say I've EVER heard the lead guitar in the band playing the song PLAY the leads CORRECTLY!!
    Why is that?????????
    Back when I played lead guitar, I spent [literally] hours, slowing down the lead on "Change In My Pocket" so I could play it note for note - and did!
    I guess I'm not one of those "make it your own lead" types of cover band peeps.

6. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    haha, not only that but he hasn't actually listened to the songs in 30 years so he doesn't remember the actual structure and chords and wonders why you are playing the song 'wrong'.

And no computer so no email and he doesn't know how to text so very hard to communicate with.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  7. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi glocke1 :)

When I show up to an audition
    and all the other bassplayers waiting, have a tuba and wear lederhosen :D

man-with-tuba-wearing-lederhosen-ee9w4d.

I know! This won' t work! :D

Wise(b)ass

8. Ender_rpm

Ender_rpm

Apr 18, 2004
    St. Louis MO
    I guess I am better at screening out the nutters, I have found several longer term bands on Craigslist and am still friends with many of them. When one moves a lot for work, and wants to play NOW vs "learning the scene" its been a valuable resource.

And to stay on topic, I DO post a lot of political stuff on FB, am unashamed about it, but it doesn't cross over to our band page/promotions. I prefer bringing up religion/politics early on in an original band, so as to not waste time. In a cover/working band context, its way less important, I am there to make money. As long as stage wear doesn't include political slogans or endorsements, I'm good.

9. jeffb28451

jeffb28451 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Leland NC
    Someone thought this was about FB postings, etc. a Really...I thought it was about “signs a band might not be for you”.

glocke1 likes this.