Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sigur Ros (strange icelandic band)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, May 5, 2004.

1. I was recently shown this band and I downloaded some of their songs. Very mellow, atmospheric, beautiful music. I still haven't heard much of their material, just wanted to know if there are any other fans on the board, and any song recomendations you have (i only have "untitled 8" and "untitled 4" thats available at www.sigur-ros.co.uk)

They're very unique and highly original...one of the guitarists uses a cello bow for most of his sounds.

My only complaint is that they sing in gibberish (on the "()" album at least), which gets old after a bit. But its a minor complaint, as the music is just overwhelmingly awesome. "Untitled #8" is very awe-inspiring.

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    They've been mentioned here before.

I liked them, but at times they're just TOO mellow for me. Still, yes, very original, the guitarist uses a bow and it works really well.

3. hadn't realized they've been discussed before...my bad.

You know Will, it seems we have a very similar taste in music...we always end up in each other's threads!

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

5. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    Hey,

A huge fan here. Holm (bassist) is one of the main reasons I did not give up bass, and the band as a hole opened up new doors to all kinds of music I that I would have never heard.

As for recomondations, BUY THE ALBUM! hahah If you are wondering which album to buy...

( ) - very dark, mellow, slow, more ambience than other albums, more of a rock feel...

ágætis byrjun - it is brighter so it seems more pop-like (but is nowhere near it), slightly happier...

Von and von brigði - don't bother. There is a reason they are not available outside of iceland except on tours; only die-hard fans even remotely like them (the band themselves dislike the album so much, they made the title track of ágætis byrjun (means an ok start) about how they could have done better with von).

First one is an original album, sounds a little like ágætis byrjun, just choppy, doesnt flow as well between songs and even verses, music not as good.

von brigði is a remix album of Von with the remixes by icelandtic electronic artists, but sounds more like Sigur-techno. Awful.

Other bands you might want to get into:

Godspeed You ! Black Emperor: (Canadian)
    Orchestra-like post-rock with an occasional punk-like (NOT like the pop-punk crap BTW) climax

múm:
    Very good, also icelandic. sounds like Sigur-ros' electronic departures but with some acoustic instruments, ambient guitars, and sweet sounding lo-fi analog bass.

Mogwai: (Scottish)
    post-rock. Many Sigur-ros fans love them more than Sigur-ros. I, myself, am not a big fan of them. Their music is not that great, they as people are not that great either (like to talk sh!t hahah), and they did use their music for a Levi's jeans commercial (the one where the guy with the dreds and a girl stand in the middle of an abandoned city while buffalo run past them; just plain weird).

Explosions in the sky: (Texas)
    A little Mogwai and a little Godspeed with no strings (which are present on ALL of these albums, 'cept this one.)

Hope I was a help

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Thanks for the listening list. I've been listening to () for a while now, and ágætis byrjun more recently. Very, very awesome stuff. () is the perfect soundtrack for a rainy day.

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I like Sigur Rós. And just to clear things up, they don't sing gibberish on (), it's hopelandic or Vonlenska in Icelandic. :þ
    By the way, I saw them live in 1999. :)

And Mr. Wood, the other bands you mentioned are also cool :)

I think I'm gonna listen to () before I go to sleep.

8. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

I always just thought you were my doppelganger or something......or I was yours :ninja:

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Could it be that they are just singing in Icelandic?

10. Against Will

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    No,

Their songs are literally gibberish. The singer uses a "made up" language he calls "Hopelandic" which is a combination of English, Icelandic, and sounds like "Rrrrrrrrrrr" and "Eaaaaaaa" etc.

11. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    A friend of mine interviewed them a while back (wow - almost 4 years ago - time flies) for a website we run (or used to, since it's not been touched in too long):

http://www.remoteinduction.co.uk/audio/sigurint.htm

Re:mote Induction : Am I correct in understanding you use a combination of Icelandic and a made up language?
    Georg: On the first album, when we wrote the songs for that, Jonsi used to sing just babble, and when we did the album, we wrote lyrics for all the songs except one where we just decided Jonsi would sing all his babble, that album was called Hope, and that song was called Hope and so we decided to call it Hopelandish, and now for example, all our new songs are just in that language.

Re:mote Induction : Babble for texture?

Georg: It's just using the voice as an instrument.

~~

I saw them when they toured the UK with Godspeed around about that time, and have the ágætis byrjun album (and a couple of promos from that time, courtesy of FatCat). I was never sure if I liked them or if they were too "nice" for me, and I've never quite got round to getting ().

They're signed to EMI now, so I'm sure they'll be getting massive promotion aimed at the Dido Demographic for their next album. Post-rock hits the mainstream!

12. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I ****ing love Sigur ros!theyre music is just beautiful

13. I've heard a rumor that their next album will be done in english...anyone know if there is any truth to that?

14. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    highly unlikely, that is just the anti-corporation fans who are mad about the EMI transiton (they say the new album will be done in english to sell better).

The only way this would happen is if Sigur ros lost their minds or their original porpose to create music the way they want it with no outside ot record company interferance is forsaken because of greed (losing their minds is more likely by a long shot; They gave up a LOT of money by signing to Pias instead of other labels, and the only reason: complete artistic control.)

15. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like what I've heard of Sigur, and some of Mogwai as well.

Nothing like droning, moody ruminations and cacophonous waves of pure noise.
    I'm kind of partial to gibberish too though (as a major Cocteau Twins fan), so bear that in mind.

16. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I absolutely love Sigur Ros. Their music is so ethereal and beautiful. I was lucky to see them at the House of Blues in New Orleans, it was a religious experience. :)

17. mishi_ono

mishi_ono

May 7, 2004
    Oakland, CA
    sigur ros are the best thing since bjork to come out of iceland.

18. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    when were they in NO?
    And why didn't you invite me?! :bawl:

19. glad to see you have discovered a wonderful band. i really believe that too often, we as bassists get so absorbed in chops and technique, that simplicity and it's awesome power are forgotten. a band like sigur ros is a good reminder of simple creativity.

wood=basses. sorry about the negative experience with mogwai. i have found through touring with them that they are engaging and very committed to their art. i actually prefer them to most other bands of the genre and their recent performance at the coachella festival was the highlight of the weekend.

nonetheless i think we could all stand to learn a little lesson about minimalism and this kind of music is a good teacher. :D

20. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I just bought () and I'm really taken back... I think it's great! Props to Iceland!