1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Sigur Ros- Valtari

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oneirogenic, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I really love this album. Georg's bass work is a bit more subtle but always fitting. His amazing sub octave sound is back on eg anda and I think he busted out the ebow again on ekki mukk. It's really hard to tell...I think he may have used some other effects and played other instruments ( at least piano on the last track) but the sound on this album is so dense and wet that it makes you go " is that strings, synth, bass swells, or something else?" The absence of their typical instrument arrangements also makes me wonder who plays what and what they will do to reproduce these songs live. Anybody else been listening to this album?

2. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I'm a huge fan and have the album, but so far it hasn't grabbed me. I need to give it a more thorough listen, and your description of the bass tones is inspiring me to give it a spin.

3. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    It's one of those albums that takes many listens to properly appreciate. I just wish I knew what the heck they were doing on these songs. Their tour just started, so maybe some questions will be answered.

4. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    I like Sigur Ros but was never crazy about their albums, after a couple songs I usually want to listen to something else.

My friend had an extra ticket to see them two nights ago and they were amazing live. I don't think their albums do them justice at all. After seeing them live I feel like their albums the equivalent to those early MP3s in the 90s. I don't mean this as an insult to the band at all, they just sound SOOOOOO much better live.

The bass sounded great and punchy. One of the best live bass sounds I have ever heard. I suppose this has something to do with the rest of the band not having that much low end in their instruments but still. I didn't see any ebow but the bass player did use a drum stick to play one song.

Also the stage show was really great. The lighting, video, and smoke effects were fairly simple, textural, and appropriate for the music. Definitely well worth the reasonable price they were charging (the tickets were under 40 bucks even after all the fees).

5. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    He has only played Ebow on one song in the past and I suspect a song from the new album but I can't confirm. They are fantastic live but I haven't seen them. Their DVDs Heima and INNI are great.

6. Tractorr

Tractorr

Aug 23, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Worth every penny. Even if it is a far drive it would be well worth it. I am pretty jaded toward live shows, a band has to do something really original for me to be into it. I felt like I was seeing something new. Great show and great sound!

7. muljoe

muljoe

Mar 8, 2011
    Boston
    Saw them live a few years ago...changed my life!!!!! just kidding.....but seriously they did. It was an amazing experience and is my favorite concert I've been too. Don't have any insight on the bass effects but just wanted to give a shout because they are ridiculous live...

8. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    I could have bought tickets to the Seattle show for this current tour but you know....that money thing. My wife would love to see them too I am sure. She likes to learn their songs on piano. Seems like I am always hurting for money when a good concert is coming around.