Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sigur Ros

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by BehindTheMoon, Apr 11, 2002.

1. I've heard some of Sigur Ros' tracks before, but today I got home with their latest, ágætis byrjun.

Zap!!!!

My head is spinning. Wow.

Don't they have a new one out later this year? Please?

2. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I think they're in the studio working right now. The new one is either out later this year or early 2003. I got Agaetis byjrun about a month ago, wow indeed.

3. can't give any info on upcoming stuff of theirs, but agaetis byrjun is indeed breathtaking. icelandic(?) is a beautiful language.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Sigur Rós are great, and I agree with dancehallclasher, icelandic is a beautiful language.:)

5. i think when i do my solo thing i'm gonna cover Flugufrelsarinn. hopefully nobody from iceland will be in attendance as i butcher it. :D

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    There is an icelandic band that covered it, The Hawks (I think) and they played it with a country feel if I´m not mistaken.

7. That's not exactly Icelandic. They sing in a made-up language they call Hopelandic, which is evidently part Icelandic, part English, and part Esperanto. I don't think most Icelandic people actaully know what they're singing about either.

That's a really good record, but got tired of hearing it everywhere I went when it was first released in the US.

8. Eh, we get a word and word. [Hand shaking movement follows.]

Strange, I used to hate them, but I just downloaded Svefn g englar and now I want to buy the album.

9. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I downloaded Svefn G Englar from cdnow.com a week ago, and after listening, bought Ágætis Byrjun. It arrived yesterday.

Wow.

Have you ever imagined music in your head that you could never make yourself, but you hoped somebody made it, somewhere? Sigur Ros is it for me. I'm into some semi-spaced out stuff like Portishead and Radiohead, but there was a direction that I imagined in my head, where Radiohead explored a little more, where the music seemed not to come from an instrument, but rather, from thought, and feeling.

I've listened to bands like Massive Attack and Tricky, but I feel like they get only get it right on one song out of 10. Sigur ros is the band that does everything perfectly, by whom no song is not superb. I'm glad I found them, because I was getting close to thinking that this band didn't exist. They truly blow my mind. I hope to get more of their stuff soon.

and I can't believe that's a guy singing!

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I've got the 3 song EP from columbia house or BMG...I forget. There's no info on the cd or sleeve as to what it might be...pretty nice stuff though.

Interesting how you describe it, Conical.
    That's pretty much what the Cocteau Twins were for me. Sigur reminds me of them somewhat, in that it's very atmospheric/ethereal/emotive music, and they sing in a hybrid language of their own. Maybe the Twins went a little farther with the whole 'made-up-language' thing, but it sure does the trick for me.

11. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    From what I can gather, the first 3 albums are in Icelandic, and the last, "()" (that's the title), is the one in Hopelandic. There are 2 songs on Ágætis in hopelandic, Olsen Olsen, and another that I can't remember. This may not be true, I'm just compiling this from my memory of what I've read. There's an interview with Georg Holm, the bassist, on sigur-ros.co.uk, wherein he explains the use of Hopelandic. He says the point is (as I conjectured) to allow the voice to be an instrument. Which makes sense; when I play bass, I'm saying something, but not specific words. I think it's valid that they would want to preserve that with vocals. Obviously, it would have had the same effect to me if they did everything in Icelandic, since I don't speak it, but I suppose there's someone in the world who speaks Icelandic ;) .

I think the song that the woman from the Cocteau Twins did with Massive Attack is the best song massive Attack has done. Again, they're very hit or miss.

I was a little surprised at how much they (Sigur Ros) use strings (orch.) on the rest of the album. Svefn G Englar really downplays that, but the strings figure in quite a bit.

12. Not that old, only six months.

A good reminder for me to nip out and get (). For some reason I haven't got around to that one yet.

13. have you guys seen the music video for the first track of ( )? wow... definitely one of the more powerful short films i've seen.

14. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    haven't seen that yet, but now the cd cover cut-out makes sense... ()

15. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    sigur ros is very relaxing.

16. Isn't it? I think Ágætis Byrjun should be prescribed as a cure for insomnia, at least it works every single time for me. :)

And Dance, where's that Flugufrelsarinn cover?

17. well it turns out that my solo project has developed into playing an acoustic guitar in open G with a slide... i don't think that song would work out so well. :)

18. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Don't you think that Flugufrelsarinn would sound good on an acoustic guitar? :þ

19. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Indeed, Floria Sigismondi proves she still has it... Has anyone seen the Svefn G Englar clip? That was really incredible itself...