Silencing the EUB between tunes

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by csrund, Oct 20, 2016.

1. I'm new to the EUB and will be using an Eminence to replace my traditional fretless electric for church services. Between songs, it was easy to silence the electric by spinning the volume knob down, but the EUB has no such controls. I'm sitting a few feet away from the amp, so it's not practical to pot it up and down throughout the service.

So, question: Is there an on/off device (e.g. foot switch) anyone recommends that can be patched between the bass and amp? (I bought a Fender foot switch on eBay thinking it was the device I was after; turns out I was mistaken.)

Thanks for the help!

2. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    What kind of preamp are you using? I use a Radial Bassbone OD Preamp with a mute switch. You could also use an A/B switch with nothing plugged into the other channel.

lamarjones and MrLenny1 like this.
  3. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    A volume pedal (it does more or less the same thing as a volume knob on a BG)
    A tuner; stomp it and it will mute, on the plus side you can even retune when necessary.

jthisdell likes this.
  4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I use a Planet Waves Circuit Breaker cable with my Eminence bass...or any instrument that doesn't have an on-board volume control.

- Steve

MrLenny1 likes this.
  5. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings, Phil Jones Bass Amplification, Remic, 64 Audio
    Volume pedal or tuner will do the trick.

6. Up and Away

Up and Away

May 16, 2015
    Planet Waves Circuit Breaker works for me too.I use my Yamaha SLB200 most of the time and my electric bass for a couple of songs so I can mute between songs or when I switch instruments.The Planet Waves line works with either passive or active pickups(both mine are active) but some A/B pedals and some "silent" cords and other pedals don't work if you have active pickups-I found that out the hard(ie expensive)way.Good luck.

Steve Boisen likes this.
  7. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    volume pedal

8. Thanks for the responses, everyone.

More questions: I've played my same electric with passive electronics for 30+ years and have never used a preamp; same with acoustic upright and the Underwood pickup many years ago, too. My Eminence is equipped with a Realist copper pickup, and I was hoping to go straight to the amp with it as well. Any advice on this plan?

@Bisounourse , @Josh Kneisel and @Ross Kratter : Any recommendations on a lightweight/light duty volume pedal for passive electronics? (Also, is an "expression pedal" the same thing as a volume pedal?)

Feel like I'm overdriving my headlights here, as I'm really ignorant on the nuances of amplification on the EUB side; appreciate your experience and advice.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You need something to match the impedance of the piezo Realist pickup, to the input of the amp...most electric bass amps don't have the minimum 1 MegOhm input input impedance needed for best results. You might consider the FDeck HPF-Pre, which will match your impedance, and also give you the volume control to silence the bass between sets. It's very reasonably-priced.

You can find many discussions on this unit here in TB double bass forums, as it's very well-regarded. You can purchase it here: hpftechllc

csrund likes this.
  10. Ross Kratter

Ross Kratter Gold Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    New York, NY
    Artist, RS Berkeley, La Bella Strings, Phil Jones Bass Amplification, Remic, 64 Audio
    csrund likes this.
  11. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
  12. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    The Boomerang Wholly Roller is a very good compact volume pedal.
    Just to mute though a tuner would seem the obvious choice.

csrund likes this.
  13. Why not just lay a hand across the strings to mute them?

14. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    For the whole break?

15. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I also thought of hand muting. The OP said "between songs." I mute my upright between songs with my hand. On breaks I push the mute button on my AI amp.

16. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I assume the time between songs in a church service could be lengthy. So laying hands on the bass may not be practical?

17. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    For gawd's sake fellas do you think he's an idiot?

18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It was for me when I was playing in church.

19. When playing my regular electric, my preference is to spin down the volume knob on the bass so I can have both hands free to arrange loose sheet music on the stand without creating any unintentional noise. That's really what I'm after here; a mute mechanism that allows me to have hands free to handle music, bow, etc.

During the sermon, the musicians grab a seat with the congregation, and the amplification equipment is left on to avoid the distracting "pop" of powering up. I'm concerned that leaving a hollow body instrument unattended with a hot amp might cause some feedback if the pastor's voice amplification causes resonance in the instrument. I'd feel more secure with a mute switch.

20. Having no idea how long the breaks are, it's impossible to answer the question. I happen to belong to an African Methodist Episcopal church where it is de rigeur for the preacher to spontaneously break into a hymn and expect the choir and any musicians who are present to follow along.

If the breaks between songs in the OP's church are lengthy, he can put a hair scrunchy on the bass and slide it down below the nut to mute the strings during breaks.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021