1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silencing the fan on a Peavey T-Max?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metalman X, Apr 22, 2009.

1. I got a T-Max I use primarily as a power amp, and I'm doing some recording. The fan however, is just too damn loud!

Now, I'm not cranking it too load....master volume at 3 tops. So I'm thinking heat really isn't an issue, so, is there a way I can just safely disable the fan?

2. While I can't directly answer your "is it safe to disable?" question, I can tell you that I replaced mine in an effort to minimize noise and it didn't do much.

Mike

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Can you? yes, just cut one of the wires, or pull it from wherever there's a connector. Should you? that, I can't answer.

4. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    I had a T-Max with a loud fan. I removed the fan from the housing, cleaned it well and put a drop of light (I used sewing machine oil) oil on the fan blade shaft where it enters the motor. It did not silence the fan, but reduced the noise quite a bit.

5. thats what I'm wondering...if theres maybe a connector I can just pull...but I dunno if thats gonna break any kind of circuit in there. I may have to jumper something. Hmmmm....mayhaps I should find me a schematic....

6. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Maybe you should just get a long speaker cable and put the power amp in a different room.

7. You can use an inline resistor in one of the lines to reduce the voltage to the fan. It slows down accordingly.

Fans are standard items, so replacement is always the first option. Oil will not fix a worn out bearing.

I own a computer business, and routinely swap the lead pairs in a MOLEX connector, so the fan runs from the 5v pair. This cuts the speed (noise) to less than half, yet maintains sufficient air flow.

Zalman makes a variable resistor unit for less than $5 that works well. It is a small box with a variable knob, and easy to install.

A variable control is the best solution, because you can run the fan full speed for hot environments (outdoors) and very slow for indoor studio work. Note the Zalman unit never allows the fan to run at 100% full voltage, due to some resistance is always in series with the fan.

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    Also you could install a 220 volt fan.
    At 110 volts, it will run at half speed and will be a lot quieter.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Most amps use a DC low voltage fan driven by a temperature controller.

Paul

10. I found most of the noise on my t-max came from the fan's housing vibrating! Taking the fan out while still connected made the fan silent (not a bearing)

Try dampening the fan casing, i used little strips of rubber and it solved my problem. THE NOISE WAS DRIVING ME CRAZY! Im much happier now. Maybe a little dense foam would work too.

11. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    You could also cut one of the wires and put a switch in. You would also want to drill a small hole in the back by the fan to mount the switch - you should be able to find an ok switch at radio shack. Since I don't have this amp, I cannot say how hard or even which wire, but hopefully you know someone who could tell once you opened her up.

12. throbgod13

throbgod13

Mar 26, 2005
    Texas
    find out the voltage, and size of the fan..

then look for another one that has a fluid bearing, or one that has fan blades designed for low noise.. you'll have to figure out how to install the fan, as to the PCB connector.. you might have to cut the existing connector off the fan and splice it on the new one.. pay attention as to what direction the original fan blows..

this is just one site to look at for fans..

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g/c...X-Page1.html?gclid=CK74kZiPiJoCFZpM5QodzF-cFA