1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silent Hill...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ...Just wandering if any fellow game nerds went to check out the movie on opening night. I've got to admit, I think it's a really good movie. Not great, but it's really good!

If you've never played through the games, [Or if you have, but havn't understood the subtle messages...] especially SH2, then you may want to steer clear of the film for now, and save it for a rental.

-Ryan.

2. SenorQueso

SenorQueso

Jun 28, 2005
    Boca Raton, fl
    I thought the movie was GREAT. Had so many video game elements from the game in it. The acting was pretty good, the scare factor was allright, the monsters look so spot on too the video game it was amazing.

On a side note I'm not ashamed to admit I never finished silent hill 2 because I was too scared to continue to play it :rolleyes: Any true fans of the game series, did you think it was a spot on movie?

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    saw it last night. (and had a thread about it a month ago... that's still active...)

i liked the first half to three-quarters of it. besides some bad acting from the cop, it was pretty damn good.

then it all just unraveled at the end. it deviated from the plot of the source material, and the new plot elements were pretty weak.

relied too much on direct exposition at the end, which just isn't good story telling.

i had pretty high hopes for it, and this movie didn't meet them.

4. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I loved the games...

the movie bored me at times though. The pacing didn't really work all that well, and not once did I think that Rose was in any danger. The Sean Bean cut scenes just took away from the movie, and the dialogue and acting weren't all that great.

On the positive side, visually this film is impeccable in comparison to the game. They got everything right. Also, I loved the usage of the soundtrack from the games.

Found out some really cool news about the movie (at least for me). They used the town of Centralia, PA (the town where we got our band name from) as a template for Silent Hill...Read here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14047

5. I've actually heard many rumors of alternate endings... Guess we'll have to wait until the DVD release in a few months.

-Ryan.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL

wow

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

Having only played the first game on and off at my buddies house, I couldn't say how well it sticks to the plot.

That said, I thought the movie was excellent, except for some poor acting at times. The sound was a major highlight to me. Even when none of those sounds wouldn't naturally exist, I thought that everything sounded exactly how it should. Visually, great. IMO, best video game adaptation yet.

8. A hilariously well executed flaming bag of dog-crap, and I've played all four of the games in the series. A pity.

9. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I'm quite sure I'm not watching this (if it ever comes out over here), I really don't want it to ruin the games for me. While I loved the messed-up atmosphere, graphics and settings of all four of them, I felt only SH 2 and 4 had storylines that were actually good. SH1 did start out with an interesting premise but its story quickly got too convoluted and weird for my liking. In my opinion SH2 would've been the best of the bunch to turn into a movie.

10. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

yeah, that's true. SH2's adaptation of the myth of orpheus is probably more movie-friendly.

hopefully that'll be the sequel; however, in an interview with electronic gaming monthly, christopher gannes said that silent hill 3 would make more sense to adapt for a sequel to the first movie, since it continues that same thread.

frankly, i think he botched the plot of the first one thoroughly enough! in fact... i'm not sure if he could follow the plot of the third one, the way he decided to end his movie. :rollno: