Silicone rubber strings?!?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by reveille_509, Oct 5, 2000.

1. reveille_509

Aug 17, 2000
    Has anyone ever tried these things? They seem like they could bend pretty good but then they're rubber strings, how would they sound? I dont really plan on trying them out cause they seem like some new fad (like 7 string leads) i just was wonderin how they sound?
  2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If I'm not mistaken, these strings are specifically made for the DeArmond Ashbory bass.

Check it out here:

They wont work on a regualar bass because conventional bass pickups require a metal string to produce the sound.

[Edited by Nate Dawg on 10-05-2000 at 08:57 PM]
  3. Actually I tried the DeArmond yesterday.. a VERY freaky feeling! I guess it is rather cool, but my fingers got stuck in the silicone.. not that nice. Anyway the were not powdered. But it would be cool to have one of those basses, but I dont really know when to use it :)
  4. You need to use talcum powder on those silicone strings.

5. BassBoomer23

Jan 14, 2012
    What type of pickup do the Ashbury basses use? Can they be replaced by the regular pickups of a regular bass along with its strings?
  6. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I tried it a few months ago with the same experience: a weird sticky feeling. But that THUMP, WHOOMM, THUMP :cool: coming from the piezo pickup is quite catching, if played through a full size cab. I might give it another try...

THORRR Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2010
    Parker, Colorado
    My friend has one of those Ashburys,

The strings slip, break regularly, won't stay in tune for long and
    feel like round rubber bands. It's more of a toy or novelty than
    a bass. I thought it was crap.

8. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Right, thanks for the info. I only played it occasionally at the music store. I will play it on my next visit, but won't buy it anyway. :ninja:
  9. The G-string is notorious for snapping, so I got me one from some English guy who sells more durable single-string replacements. It also takes quite a while for the strings to settle, but once they do they sound great.

That said, I use the Ashbory a lot, especially in the studio, and I wouldn't really call it a toy. I love that deep double-bass like thumpy sound it makes.
  10. Shmandy

Jul 7, 2011
    For the same effect, I would check out the Kala UBass. Haven't gotten the chance to play one yet, but they get SERIOUS upright thump and have unique proprietary strings too.
  11. JTE

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    I really like the Ashbory, and have had little problem with strings. When the DeArmond version first came out, the strings FMIC spec'd did have some serious self-destruct issues. But I last had trouble with my strings about six years ago when I got some new formulation strings from New Hope Guitar Traders a/k/a The Guild Guy. That was, until last week when the G broke at the nut. I just got some new Ashbory strings and a single G from someone on the web, and it seems fine.

The Uke strings looked interesting but I didn't really want to restring the whole bass now.

BTW, search the threads on the Ashbory- there are several threads about both the strings and how the thing sounds. There's also one thread that has several recordings listed with people who used the Ashbory. One I know off the top of my head is on Jack Bruce's "A Question Of Time" where he plays an Ashbory on the song "Kwela".