1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

silk colors

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by waag56, Oct 5, 2008.

1. waag56

waag56

May 15, 2005
    A couple of my basses have had the same string sets on them for over two years now and I'd like to replace them with the same brand. I can't remember what kind they are but on the tuner end one set is green and the other bass has red silk ends.

2. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Not sure about the green ones, but I know that Thomastik-Infeld strings have red silk ends...

3. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Rotosounds have red too...

4. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    MusicYo strings have red too, though I tried them 7 years ago and will never use them again. Red is pretty common. Maybe you'll have better luck identifying the green ones.

There once was a thread where people listed every string they knew - if you can find it, it may help you out.

5. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Green--Fender Flats. Only green silks I can think of.

Red--GHS Boomers, some La Bellas, TI Jazz Flats, Rotosounds. Most likely GHS, purely because of popularity.

Good luck!

6. Fender32

Fender32

Jun 23, 2005
    Kent, England
    :meh: All of the Fender flats that I've ever bought (in Europe) only have the green silk at the bridge end - the tuner end is bare metal.

Could be GHS, they used to do green silk nickels (in the '80s). Are they nickel or steel, BTW?

7. waag56

waag56

May 15, 2005
    I think you're right about the roto's, the green silked ones are roundwounds.. I guess I'll just try something new for that bass

thanks

8. Davrosnomates

Davrosnomates

Jul 26, 2006
    I seem to remember Rotosound solo bass have green silk.