Silk colour of Dean Markley SR2000's

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by carl-anton, May 31, 2004.

1. What colour is the silk on SR2000s? Any thoughts on how they sound compared to Blue Steels? And is the Will Lee gauges very high tension, or is it fine since the strings are tapered?

Thank you :)
  2. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Will Lee's have gold colored silks. Never played Blue Steels. Tension is about average, I'd say, although since I play by the bridge, I tend not to notice. My favorite rounds by far, although I have switched to flats. Still have an unopened set as backup. :bassist:
  3. Ok - thanks :) Seems like a lot of people like these strings.
  4. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    All SR2000s have yellow silk. For my Ibanez TRB105, I found Dean Markley SR2000s in the 45-100, 125 low-B the best for me in terms of tone. I much prefer these over Blue Steels, which I've also tried. Blue Steels, in my experience, tend to go dead quicker than the SR2000s. However, I prefer the silk color of Blue Steels, as the SR2000 yellow isn't that appealing.

There are minus points to the strings such as a rough feel. I tried some heavier-gauge (higher than Will Lee) SR2000s (48, 68, 88, 108, 128) and they're nowhere near as comfortable as the 45-100, 125. They feel rather stiff due to the heavy gauge.
  5. Thanks Blademaster. Could you say some more over the tonal differences between Blue Steels and SR2000s?
  6. Blademaster Dez

Blademaster Dez

May 12, 2004
    It's been a decent while since I've had Blue Steels, so my memory's very fallible. If I remember correctly, Blue Steels have more brightness than the SR's, but like I said they go dead quicker and when they do, they get very muddy. The SRs have a "grittiness" to their sound, which I like; but the strings need to be broken in a bit for that grittiness to come out. Initially they're bright, with some edge. It complements the warmth of my alder wood Ibanez nicely.

Also, like I said in another thread, the taper-wound B has more clarity and definition on my bass than the regular roundwound B's I've tried. It's nowhere near a Dingwall B, but it's less woolly than the regular roundwounds I've tried.

At least, that's my experience. As the mantra goes, your results may vary.