silk on saddle problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by natasmi, Oct 7, 2003.

1. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    the silk windings on one of my basses all ride on the saddles. I have to have the saddles back almost all the way to get proper intonation, If I cut the silk wrapping the thinnest part of the taper on the E string will ride on the saddle and I don't know what to do, is it a problem? do I make some goofy spacer for the back of the bridge foe the strings to go through? Do I leave it as it is? They don't sound too bad but to me it seems wrong to have silk windings on the bridges witness point. It is one of those gibson/epiphone 3 point bridges so the saddles have little travel. Thanks in advance, I have to get to work now.
  2. You problem is really sapping the zing you should be getting out of your strings. If your intonation adjustment is that far back, you might have to consider that the bridge is mounted a little too far forward. Not real likely but possible.

A less scary solution would be to get tapered strings that only have the core of the string going over the saddle. Then the only tensioned part of the string is in contact with the saddle and you can get a little more intonation, maybe!

BTW, what type of bass is this?
  3. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Thanks for replying, It's a cheap little epiphone EBO copy but I love the thing, very easy to play. I put pyramid gold short scale flats on it and they are a little pricey so I'd like to keep them on. I have a badass 1 bridge but really want to keep it for a project bass.Do you think a spacer between ball and back of bridge is a bad idea? or maybe I should suck it up and put other strings on it?
  4. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    this isn't the bass (I wish it was) but it shows how far back the saddles are for correct intonation, same bridge.
  5. I would try another set of strings before I messed with the bridge. At least that would rule one way or the other, strings or bridge. Then you can work from there.

Is this your bass?

Keep us updated so we can help!

;) Treena
  6. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    Yep, that's the bass. I have 4 others, a Ric 4001, a Dano DC, a P bass copy and anouther short scale, gretch electromatic junior jet. The EBO copy is the only one that ever gave me problems, the sleaves the bridge posts go in to pulled out once! I had to glue them back in. Thanks, I'll post string results in a couple of days.
  7. In case you didn't know, the original BadAss bridge was originally designed and marketed as an upgrade replacement for the Gibson floating bridge just like what you've got. This was in the mid 70's. It's not hard to see why everyone wanted something a little better.
  8. Yggdrasil

Aug 16, 2001
    I have the same problem with my Epi Casadys, with what is basically the same bridge - a)silk over saddle if properly intonated (esp the one with TI flats) & b)the post pull out - a bit of metal-to wood glue & push them back in is all it takes, though - no biggy.
  9. To actually answer your question...

Yes, the spacer idea is worth a try. You might look into getting some metal brake line from the auto parts store. The smaller versions are just right for this. You can cut it with a tubing cutter or hacksaw and slide 'em over your strings.
    I bet that it's gonna really pump up the definition that you hear. Especially with the type of bass you're playing.

Good luck