1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Silk thread bass string ID

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Pbman, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    Would any one know what company uses lillac colored thread on its strings

They are flats 45 to 105

Thanks

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    New Orleans
    I think this is meant for the electric bass side. But I know they aren't DR, D'addario, or Dunlop or Labella.

@Chris Fitzgerald might be able to move it.

3. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Ernie Ball Cobalts

74hc and Sam Dingle like this.
  4. Pics of the headstock (where it shows the silk) and the bridge (where it shows the ball ends) would be helpful. Thx.

5. By the way, do they have silk at both ends? Or, just the tuner end?

6. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    I can send a pic later.

The lilac/lavender color are at both ends. The odd thing is ,at the head stock end and under the silk, the gauges switch down to like a 40 or 45 for each string, accept for the G. Any idea what brand that could be? The one thing is that they feel great. With some flats I've had real issues with sticking when my hands clam up. My ain sets hve been the TI JF344 ad the newer Labella Low Tension flats. The TI are my favorite but I found a local shop that sells the Labella's for $35 compared to all the online shops are at $45

7. EB Cobalt Flats, as already suggested above, do have purple silk at both ends.

This is quite normal. The silked part that goes around the tuner post needs to be thinner than the main body, so the outer wrap usually ends where the silk starts.

Also, something you can do is to measure the length from the ball end to where the silk starts at the tuner end. That's called "winding length". If they're in fact EB Cobalt Flats, it should be around 37.25".

8. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Ken Smith Slick Rounds have purple silks.

9. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    Here's a pic, even thought they are off the bass. they didn't have any life to them. TI's are on board and what a difference. But I'd still like to know what they are.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

10. Did you measure the winding length (from ball end to silk) like I requested earlier? That would be one of the determining factors as to which manufacturer.

11. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    1 1/4"

12. No, I'm talking about from the ball end to the start of the silk at the tuner end, including the entire length of the string.

If they're 37.25", they're most likely to be EB Coblats; if they're 38", then possibly Ken Smith Slick Rounds.

13. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    Sorry, they're all cut. But sadly they felt really good and didn't stick on me like many flats do, but their life was spent , I think.

14. Winding length = From ball end to where the silk starts at the other end, NOT including the silked part.

15. TimB 619

TimB 619 Guest

May 28, 2010
    Those may be Pyramid flatwounds.

michael_t likes this.
  16. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    The EB cobalt flats on my bass have brass ball ends instead of the silver-colored metal shown. Could just be the lighting but I think the silks look lighter in color also. I'm inclined to agree with TimB above, Pyramid flats.

michael_t likes this.
  17. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    Sorry to talk so long on the measurement- I'd average it to 36" but it's closer to 35 15/16

18. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    That light purple might be Pyramid flats.

19. Pbman

Pbman

Jul 23, 2001
    Boston Area
    I just looked on the Just Strings site and I think they are not Pyramids-

The Pyramid G is listed as a .40 but mine measures 48