Silk thread runs over the bridge saddle. Problem?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Thom Fioriglio, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Hey all. I just got a Fender Road Worn 50s bass this week and put on a set of Fender 9050L flatwound strings. This is my first experience with the vintage threaded bridge. My other basses had a Bad Ass II and a Fender HiMass bridge. After I got it all set up, the silk ends of the E string run over the saddle. I was just wondering if this is common with the vintage Fender bridges and if it is something I should try and fix, like cut some of the silk away.

I don't hear any negative effects. The tone is good with sustain and no intonation problem.

Thanks for any advice. Here is a picture to show you what I mean.

Thom
    IMG_7349.JPG

Peter Torning likes this.
  2. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    There's nothing to worry about.

aus_bass, Al Kraft and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  3. Thanks!

ahc likes this.
  4. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    As long as it sounds good you should be good to go. If you want to go to the next step, you can check the intonation on each string to make sure the saddles are in the right place. But if intonation is good there is likely nothing left to do but play it and have fun.

BrentSimons and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  5. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    I had a similar issue with string silks going over and somewhat past the saddle (MIM 60s Jazz, vintage bridge, Rotosound 77 Flats). I scraped away the excess silk from the ball ends with an Exact-o Knife, then rolling it back, like a sock. I have no idea why string manufacturers silk the ball ends; has no purpose.

HaphAsSard and Thom Fioriglio like this.
  6. danster

danster Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Maybe they silk the ball ends for potential string thru body loading?

Al Kraft likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021