Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silkwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by nemo137, Nov 2, 2001.

1. does anyone here use silkwounds, or have any information about them? i need new strings, and a musician friend of my dad's has mentioned these several times.

thanks,
    nemo.

2. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about but Thomastik-Infelds Jazz Bass strings have a silk inlay between the windings. These are very well made strings that sound very warm and organic but are light gauge and light tension. Great for groove playing but not so good for slap.

Peace

3. that might be it. do they fray?

4. BasketCase

BasketCase

Jan 1, 2001
    I have a silkwound g-string.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :p

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Fender makes a roundwound string that they wrap with thread and then sand smooth. They were original equipment on the Fender A/E model. From the Fender site:

Nylon Filament Roundwound (9120):
    Made for players that want a brighter tone than the Nylon Tapewound 9120s, but still want a string that's easy on the fingers. These strings are wound with a round black nylon cover wrap, which is then sanded smooth. Perfect for experienced players or for new players that want a smoother string, the 9120s will work great on any long-scale bass. Try 'em on yours!

Nylon Filament Roundwound Long Scale 34" Sets
    7120 .070-.100

6. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    "that might be it. do they fray?"

No, they don't fray as the silk inlay is wrapped around the inner core string, and then the nickel wrap is wound around the silk. However, if you have a penchant for popping (the string that is) that may cause the silk inlay to break apart over time. I typically get about 2 months use (couple hours a day playing) for each set.

Peace