Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

silly drummer habits

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 3 crotch grabs, May 6, 2004.

1. is it just me, or are drummers especially quirky?

i played with this one guy who needed to go through a whole ritual before he would sit down and play. plus, he had to be wearing a certain outfit to play. gym shorts, mountain climbing shoes, no socks, wife beater t-shirt, wrist bands, doo-rag on his head, and these funky aviator goggles. apparently he has sweating problems. the shoes are supposed to give great pedal control, and he hit himself in the eye with a stick once. i think his predrumming ritual (which included many bongloads) might have contributed to his stick in the eye fiasco.

any other wierdo's on the back of the stage?

2. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I seem to be following you with drummer tales...

mine is "different" too, although fantastic at his art and the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with. we have decided to play together as a rhythm section no matter what happens with any other parts of our bands. most gigs he takes his shirt off mid-way and since he's heavily covered in tattoos and some extra luggage from beer consumption over time, he makes for an interesting stage piece. plus he plays with his eyes closed and a sort of snarl at all times----I think that came from his many years of playing in a touring punk band.

and although he might frighten some I wouldn't trade him in cause he's a great drummer and an honest guy! :D

3. tex, as long as you're not in a michael bolton cover band you will probably not have a problem.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    :D :D :D if I ever join a michael bolton cover band I will have a serious problem :bawl:

not that there's anything wrong with michael bolton... :p

5. kato_kaylin

kato_kaylin

Jan 14, 2003
    Yea....the drummer in my band is a dandy. He used to not want to go to college, all he wanted to do for a living was play drums and kiss girls(to put it lightly). He has been saying this since he was 15 and now he thinks he wants to go to college and major in "drummin" The guy is a very good drummer but he has no drive to get any better because of his "grass habits". ;)

6. my drummer is pretty good... but he complains about "cramps" and crap. plus he's kinda lazy, but once you get him to play its fun, otherwise hes got a "leave me alone attitude"

and then i hate it when drummers ask: "so uh, wat kind of beat would you like me to set for this song?"

me: "iono; your the drummer"

7. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    The drummer I've been playing with recently is a great guy; really talented, reliable, full of great stories about his gigging experiences and an all round nice bloke. I really appreciate how lucky I am to be able to play with him.

However...
    We've discovered his silly drummer habit - he sings along to himself when he's playing! We were in the studio recording a few songs, and when we listened back, we could hear him very, very faintly on the overhead mics. It's not noticable in the final mixes, but the engineer did some adjustments to bring the levels up so we could hear him more clearly. He doesn't sing the song words, but sings along to the riffs in a sort of "ho-hup-la-bah-wah-pah-da" way. :D

It was actually quite interesting to hear how he interpreted what we're playing, and how that influences the drum parts.

8. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that's cool! I'd figure out a way to incorporate that into one of the songs---as long as he's on key :oops: (or maybe it would be even better if he wasn't :D )

9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Have you ever noticed that drummers have to be the last one to touch their kit before they start playing? You get set up, you play the first set, take a break and EVEN IF NOBODY HAS TOUCHED ANYTHING since the break, when you get back to the stand, they have to start moving stuff around. I mean, WHY ARE YOU MOVING STUFF? You just played a whole f**king set with the drums set up the way you set them up, you been adjusting things all through the damn set, WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO MOVE?

10. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You are right on with that. I think it's nervous energy. They're sitting there waiting to play and they constantly fiddle around with things. We can turn the volume down and play some lines to lossen up, or get into the "playing mode" again...but drummers don't have that option. They can't play their drums to get the feel after a break, so i think they just move sh*t around to keep occupied.

11. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    My drummer only owns t-shirts that were manufactured and sold before 1985....and he's the first owner on all of them...

DD

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!

13. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    that's right...you got me nailed down and the truth is out---I own the Michael Bolton Christmas Album. :bag: :help: :D

14. michael bolton fueds always end badly.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For my money, it doesn't get much better than when he does "When a Man Loves a Woman."

16. that's one of the most f*cked up things i've ever read.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Personally, I celebrate the man's entire catalog.

MMMM, yeah. I'm going to need you to come in on Saturday. That'd be greaaat.

18. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Ever see Jim Carrey's impression of Michael Bolton doing "When a Man Needs a Big Hit"? Hilarious!

*music*
    *gratiuitous key change, to impart greater emotion in the song*
    *Jim Carrey, with incredible mullet, going for a high note* "When a maaaannn.... needs a big hit..." *hits really high note, head explodes*

19. i freaking hate that michael bolton/christian rock/pop-country key change.

20. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    give me me me back my stapler....