Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silly fret Q

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Arikash, Sep 11, 2005.

1. Dumb question that I should know the answer to, but when you fret, does it matter if you push down on the actual fret itself, or inbetween the frets?

2. Usually when you fret a string right on the fret it mutes the note and will buzz to the next note if you move it past the fret just a little.

The ideal place to fret (as said by Jaco) is the place in between the frets with your finger right up next to the fret. That's where you get the sweetest, cleanest tone.

3. the metal bit is the actual part that decreseases the vibrating string length, so by pushing down you are making the string come into contact with this and the string vibrates from there to the bridge. NOT from your finger to the bridge. So technically, you should be able to push anywhere within the space between the frets, but practically, I guess, the further back from the fret you apply pressure, the more likely you are to get a buzz sound because the string might be slightly higher than the fret....

Correct me if I'm wrong, thats just what I assume happens, when you think about it logically

:)

4. yea well put geoff, i forgot to mention about pressing on the fret itself... that however, i'm not to sure how to explain... :confused: ... I realise it happens, which is why I don't fret the note there, but I don't have a decent explanation for it :p