Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silly Metallica

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by metallicarules, May 29, 2001.

1. Anyone think Metallica will ever learn and not waste another great talent like Jason Newsted by making him BARELY audible in most of their songs?
    BTW, anyone heard any rumours or anything about a new bass player for Metallica?

2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Last I heard on Yahoo or somewhere the band is going into the studio WITHOUT a bassist. I don't know if that means they will write songs and have a "real" bassist do the basslines later, write and have an anonymous session player do the bass part, or Hetfield will play the bass part in addition to rhythm guitar and vocals or what they plan
    to do.

Like you I have wondered who will fill Newsted's role. For sure, they'll have to get someone before they tour again.

(As of this date, they have not yet contacted me either for the studio or the next tour.)

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You won't hear a difference anyway...:D

Metallica records have never been notorious for audible bass, have they? ;)

4. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    it won't matter because Metallica, in my opinion of course, can no longer write metal. their brand of hard rock sickens me.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    yep, why bother with a new bassist at all? They obviously think a good bassist/musician would have so little effect on the music that they are recording everything else first.

6. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    after all the fan-bashing Newsted got, I can't imagine anyone else would WANT to be their bassist.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Pay off student loans maybe?

8. Boplicity

The entire Metallica experience with bass players just points out clearly how difficult it is to step into a position that has been clearly identified with one particular personality.

Of course someone HAD to replace Burton, but I don't care who it was, he/she was condemned to forever be in the damp foggy mist of a ghost, forever being compared to a dead musician.

Now the next Metallica bassist is condemned to follow in the footsteps of two previous bassists, being compared and contrasted to his predecessors. How can he win under those circumstances?

Another example is Slash as the Guns n Roses lead guitarist. Whatever you say about Slash, to me, he will always be THE GnR lead guitar player. No one, not Buckethead, not Zack Wylde, not anyone can replace SLash in that seat for me. GnR without Slash is not the legitimate GnR.

I liked Newsted, but I believe he was always underappreciated because of the tremendous charisma and following Cliff Burton still has to this day.

As for the remaining Metallica band...what do they do? Do they try to find a charismatic, talented though unconventional bass player like Cliff or do they "settle" for a proficient sideman whom they can control? I think they will go with the sideman. I kind of think they don't want or appreciate an outsider's creativity and would resent someone who would try to put his own stamp on Metallica's music.

9. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Jason,

I think you pretty much nailed it. They will go with a pay for play guy for the next tour, much like BonJovi. That way, they can pay him a pittance for a performance, and split the real paycheck by 3, instead of 4. Granted, a pittance to play with Metallica will be quite a bit more than I am making now...

Did Zakk Wylde join GnR? I hadn't heard that....

10. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada

....F*** that!!!!!! I'd do it for 100 bucks a week!!!!!!

.....I heard that James was going to play the bass in the studio, and I also heard rumors of Mike Inez playing bass for them..

11. Metallica will have James playing the basslines to the songs. Don't forget who wrote a lot of the bass music for the other cd's.

Metallica isn't looking until they're done with their cd.

12. Boplicity

BassMonkee, I was just throwing out names of top guitarists, who, even if they DID play for the new GnR, wouldn't be able to replace Slash, because he is indelibly linked to the "real" GnR...in my opinion.

Actually though, come to think of it, Zack Wylde wouldn't be a bad idea.

13. Are you positive that Hetfield will be playing the bass in the studio? It says on the Metallica website, guess who Metallica has helping out with the bass duties, all you have to do is pay $25 to join a club then you can find out, greedy bastards.
    Anyway by the way they put that, "helping out" kinda sounds to me like someone not in the band already, but I'm probably wrong.

14. I read it somewhere on www.encycmet.com Check it out. It'll be in the new archive.

15. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    mike inez is playing bass for metallica now
    metallica rule no matter what ever happens

16. Yeh, i read somewhere that Inez would be the new bassist. Has that been comfirmed yet? He's wasting his time if it has.

17. sedge.. how would it be a waste of his time? It's not like he won't be making mega-bucks man. Metallica needs that metal feel again. Lets hope they get it.

18. Yeh, i suppose he will. I was just thinking of the fact that he will be turned down so low in the mix. It would piss me off anyway.

19. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    After Burton and before Newsted, Les Claypool tried out for Metallica (him and Kirk Hammet went to the same high school and were in the same english class), but was told he was "too good" for them. Ha! Primus will always be the best band ever!