1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Silly question about MM style pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by RoMeRz, Jan 7, 2007.

1. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    This may be a silly question, however - I have a Warwick Streamer Jazzman, my MEC MM pup is able to be pushed into the body. Is this normal.

I don't know that much about it tbh, I assume it is as it has springs and the screws are what are giving it hight rather than holding it in the one locked place with a J pup.

2. RyreInc

RyreInc

May 11, 2006
    Kalamazoo, MI
    FWIW, every pickup I've dealt with (and it's not that many, maybe 15-20) is spring mounted--whether the "spring" was an actual metal spring or a rubber spacer. The rubber spacers are much stiffer IME.

3. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    So its all good then?

4. Yeah, its normal, most basses are like that with most pickups.

The only pickups on my basses that arent like that are the soapbars in my EDA and BTB. I dont think my stingrays suffer from it either.

If it annoys you, just get a short length of rubber tubing (can get it from places that sell fish tank accessories), cut it to length, unscrew the pickup, and put the screw through the middle of the rubber tubing and screw the pickup back in.

5. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It doesn't annoy me, just a kind of shock. None of my pickups have ever done that before haha. my previous basses were 2xJ pups and 2xsoap and neither done it - either does the j pup on my jazzman.

Just a kind of shock haha :D

6. Sometimes J pickups have a slab of foam under them so they dont move, could always try that aswell if it did annoy you :)