Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silly Question About The Cabinet~

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pak, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    Is it different about

[2x10"]x2 = 4x10" ???

2 x 10"
    300W continuous, 600W programme
    8 Ohms

4 x 10"
    600W continuous, 900W programme
    8 Ohms

I want to know only, dont kill me~ :rolleyes:

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry Pak, I'm not quite sure what you are asking :confused:

Are you asking if two 2x10 cabinets are the same as a single 4x10 cabinet?

Assuming that is your question, I'd say YES in some aspects, and NO in others...

- YES, two 8ohm 2x10 cabinets should equal one 4ohm 4x10 cabinet in terms of: 1) Impedance and 2) Power handling, assuming the same drivers are being used in all cases.

I'm not sure why your example shows 600watts program for a single 2x10 vs. 900watts program for the single 4x10. What cabinets are you comparing and where did you get these ratings?

- NO, two 8ohm 2x10 cabinets WILL NOT equal one 8ohm 4x10 in terms of: 1) Impedance and 2) perceived volume. This is because the two 8ohm cabinets will present a 4ohm load to the amplifier which will cause it to work harder and pump out more watts than the single 8ohm cabinet.

- NO, two 2x10 cabinets may sound slightly different than a single 4x10 cabinet because of the of the different dimensions of the cabinets. In other words, 4 speakers in one large cabinet will sound a bit different than 4 speakers split into two separate cabinets.

Does that answer your question?

- Frank.

3. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    Thank you "glybassplayer",
    you are right for my questions~ :crying: sorry about that~

Your opinion is very clear and definite. :hyper: