1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly Question About The Cabinet~

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pak, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    Is it different about

[2x10"]x2 = 4x10" ???

2 x 10"
    300W continuous, 600W programme
    8 Ohms

4 x 10"
    600W continuous, 900W programme
    8 Ohms

I want to know only, dont kill me~ :rolleyes:

2. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry Pak, I'm not quite sure what you are asking :confused:

Are you asking if two 2x10 cabinets are the same as a single 4x10 cabinet?

Assuming that is your question, I'd say YES in some aspects, and NO in others...

- YES, two 8ohm 2x10 cabinets should equal one 4ohm 4x10 cabinet in terms of: 1) Impedance and 2) Power handling, assuming the same drivers are being used in all cases.

I'm not sure why your example shows 600watts program for a single 2x10 vs. 900watts program for the single 4x10. What cabinets are you comparing and where did you get these ratings?

- NO, two 8ohm 2x10 cabinets WILL NOT equal one 8ohm 4x10 in terms of: 1) Impedance and 2) perceived volume. This is because the two 8ohm cabinets will present a 4ohm load to the amplifier which will cause it to work harder and pump out more watts than the single 8ohm cabinet.

- NO, two 2x10 cabinets may sound slightly different than a single 4x10 cabinet because of the of the different dimensions of the cabinets. In other words, 4 speakers in one large cabinet will sound a bit different than 4 speakers split into two separate cabinets.

Does that answer your question?

- Frank.

3. Pak

Pak

Nov 14, 2004
    Thank you "glybassplayer",
    you are right for my questions~ :crying: sorry about that~

Your opinion is very clear and definite. :hyper: