Silly question on Bass Bridges...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassist31588, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Silly question that plays no role in tone or anything, but every bass bridge I've seen has a heart or multiple hearts in the center. I'm just wondering who started this trend (for a lack of a more appropriate word) in bridges and why you don't see any with out them.

I have nothing against the heart, I think it's cool, but I don't get it :smug:
  2. if ur talking about wat i think u are is from heat or the mill bit. think of a drill bit thats flat on the bottom and cuts side to side . if ur talking about wat i think u are its causeing the marks, or its from heat when milling.
  3. Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    You lost me, I think bassist31588 means the heart shaped cutout in a DB bridge
  4. If grammer wasn't so important I'd probably think that was a simple misunderstanding. :smug: I'm just bustin' your balls, don't take it too seriously.

Aaron nailed it. I've seen bridges usually with one heart in the center, and then I've seen some with 3. I'm just wondering why they do it. :)
  5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    cuz it's cuuuuuute! :D
  6. Any roughly triangular shape with the point at the bottom in that location would probably be fine. The decending core of the heart is a holdover from the baroque, just a decorative element. But the triangular cutout offers a neat way to build in flexibility in the waist, something one can adjust (towards the more-flexible anyway) by removing wood from the 'armpits' of the bridge on either side. I'll usually make these round cutouts more oval, upwards, varying the degree and proximity to the heart depending on softness of the maple and on how the bass seems to be responding. Same with 'cello or violin bridges more or less. If the core were solid, the bridge would be a lot less able to respond to input, at least in the lower frequency range.