Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silly Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, May 12, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Is there such a creature as a bass that's tuned EADGBE like a guitar? Obviously, it'd be an octave lower, but I'm curious.

Apologies if this might've been covered before. It it has been, I obviously didn't look hard enough in the archives.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Indeed.. ANY 6 string bass you come across can be tuned that way with the correct set of strings and the proper neck adjustment. Don't confine yourself to the stock tuning of a bass. You can tune the bass to whatever you want, it's personal preferance.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy a six string and tune however you want. Standard six is usually B E A D G C but you can do it however you want. String selection might be difficult.

Also, Fender did a six string bass a while ago with this tuning, and Ernie Ball does a Silhouette Bass Guitar with this tuning. OLP might have a version of it too.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong but John Turners 7's are tuned like a guitar with a low B. My Seven is

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The silhouette is a baritone guitar, arse :p

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Excellent. I was thinking about getting a cheap sixer with a EADGCF# nut and tuning it to standard guitar tuning, but then I got curious as to whether there was one out there that was built with the intention of tuning it to a guitar tuning.

Thanks guys.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Again.. You can tune it ANY WAY you like.. There's no specefic tuning for a bass.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Fender makes a Bass 6. Listen to any Cure albums and you will hear it. Jack Bruce used to play one.

Danelectro, Alembic, and various other people make them as well.

[​IMG]

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap, I recognize that. This has been covered before, after all.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then explain this! :p

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    They wanted to group it outside of the guitar category because it's in a category of its own. Having one guitar under a sub heading would look rather stupid now wouldn't it. The silhouette is a baritone guitar. Probably designed to be tuned a 5th below I would assume.

12. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    actually, The silhouette bass guitar can be tuned to either E-E like a guitar (but one octave lower) or A-A like a Baritone guitar. ;)

If you look under the Music man web site, under build an instrument (highlighted in orange letters on the main menu), you can either choose "6-string bass" or "Tuned A - A" when building your instrument.