1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eyescream, May 12, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Is there such a creature as a bass that's tuned EADGBE like a guitar? Obviously, it'd be an octave lower, but I'm curious.

Apologies if this might've been covered before. It it has been, I obviously didn't look hard enough in the archives.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Indeed.. ANY 6 string bass you come across can be tuned that way with the correct set of strings and the proper neck adjustment. Don't confine yourself to the stock tuning of a bass. You can tune the bass to whatever you want, it's personal preferance.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Buy a six string and tune however you want. Standard six is usually B E A D G C but you can do it however you want. String selection might be difficult.

Also, Fender did a six string bass a while ago with this tuning, and Ernie Ball does a Silhouette Bass Guitar with this tuning. OLP might have a version of it too.

4. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    Correct me if I'm wrong but John Turners 7's are tuned like a guitar with a low B. My Seven is

5. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The silhouette is a baritone guitar, arse :p

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Excellent. I was thinking about getting a cheap sixer with a EADGCF# nut and tuning it to standard guitar tuning, but then I got curious as to whether there was one out there that was built with the intention of tuning it to a guitar tuning.

Thanks guys.

7. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Again.. You can tune it ANY WAY you like.. There's no specefic tuning for a bass.

8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Fender makes a Bass 6. Listen to any Cure albums and you will hear it. Jack Bruce used to play one.

Danelectro, Alembic, and various other people make them as well.

[​IMG]

9. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Crap, I recognize that. This has been covered before, after all.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Then explain this! :p

11. quallabone

quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    They wanted to group it outside of the guitar category because it's in a category of its own. Having one guitar under a sub heading would look rather stupid now wouldn't it. The silhouette is a baritone guitar. Probably designed to be tuned a 5th below I would assume.

12. Wood = Basses

Wood = Basses

Jun 19, 2003
    actually, The silhouette bass guitar can be tuned to either E-E like a guitar (but one octave lower) or A-A like a Baritone guitar. ;)

If you look under the Music man web site, under build an instrument (highlighted in orange letters on the main menu), you can either choose "6-string bass" or "Tuned A - A" when building your instrument.