Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

silly question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Feb 7, 2005.

1. so here i am visiting guitar center, playing a beautiful warwick bass (fretless) and i'm actually getting into it cuz it has my flexibility that i love and sounds just as good. i begin slapping: a sales guy walks by and goes, can you not slap the bass? it'll mess up the fingerboard because the lack of frets makes it vulnerable. so okay, i stop. but question. say i wanted to get a lined fretless bass (to stop buzzing and such) but get a fretless graphite neck. is it a good idea? bad idea? expensive?? someone throw me a bone here, i'm eager to learn.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    You can slap on a fretless bass with a wooden fingerboard. Especially if it has flatwounds on it. Tip: GC workers dont know poop.

3. First, the only silly question is the one you don't ask:cool:

The store model was most likely strung with rounds. They'll tear up any fingerboard.

If you like the bass, get a set of flats for it and the problem goes away.

Just my $.02 :bassist:

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How would a lined fretless stop buzzing?

As far as slapping a fretless, if you play with a light touch and use nickel strings, a board will go for several years without needing to be dressed, as long as it is a very hard wood like ebony or pau ferro.

Of course, if you want to slap like a maniac and use stainless steel strings, get a fretless with a composite board.

I play a Zon Sonus Custom fretless, and use stainless steel strings. I slap quite a bit, and all I have are a few scratches. Zon uses phenowood for their fingerboard. Looks and feels like ebony, but lasts much longer.

Roscoe uses a similar material on their fretless fingerboards called diamondwood, and Curbow USA uses one called rockwood.

They are all pretty much the same thing.

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    why the graphite neck? and fretlines won't make it not "buzz" and I woulda told the salesman to shove it, granted slapping will mark up the fingerboard a little but its not going to dammage it.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    GC employees are dummies. Walk away.