Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silly questions about impedence...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, May 19, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

Please don't fool me, but I'm a bit lost with impedence questions... hey, I'm no techie...

The SWR SM-900 head has the following specs :

Stereo Mode (per side)
    400 watts @ 4 Ohms
    240 watts @ 8 Ohms
    144 watts @ 16 Ohms
    (minimum load = 2 Ohms)

I'd like to know a few things, cause I'm completely lost.

1/ If I wish to use a SM-900 on bi-amp mode, and if I use, say, a Big Ben (18", 8 ohms) and a Goliath III (4 x 10", 8 ohms), will I get 2x240 or 2x400 W ?

2/ What if I use the same config, but with a 4 ohm Goliath III instead of a 8 ohm one ?

Really sorry for these stupid questions, but at this time I'm not able to concentrate myself on this question of impedance... And also I'm not that familiar to bi-amping...

Thanks in advance !

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    1) 2x240; per side = per cab

2) 1x400 and 1x240

3. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks JMX,

That is what I was supposing, but as I explained, I was not sure at all... I believe I tried to find a complicated explanation in something that is pretty simple.

The only thing that bothers me is to know that a SWR SM-900 can send only 240 W into a Big Ben... and so that it takes 2 Big Ben's to get 400 W of power on the low-end side...