1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly string question...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by sethdavidson, Jan 20, 2003.

  1. sethdavidson


    Mar 11, 2002
    I recently purchased a upright bass, as something to mess around with when taking breaks from electric bass. being a mere uneducated slab player,
    I have a question about strings

    are most urb strings ball end? my bridge seems to be designed for strings with a loop at the end, if that makes any sense. I'm thinking of buying some thomastik spirocores, and just wondering if they are compatable or if I might eventually have to get a new tailpiece.

    any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. olivier


    Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Man, you're doing pretty good at messing around.

    Sounds like you mail-ordered a DB and that you just have it out of the box: a mess. (excuse me if I'am wrong)

    In any case, you need a luthier to set up the beast, and a teacher so the beast becomes friendly.

    Check out the newbie links, and learn quickly to post in the right section, otherwise the moderators (or even worse: Ed F...) will get mad at you (don't mess with the messer).

    Good luck
  3. sethdavidson


    Mar 11, 2002
    I apologize if I missed the correct link in the newbie posts - I read through them and found nothing on that subject.

    Wasn't mail ordered, but bought with little experience, admittedly. And I do have a teacher who plays both instruments well, but I skipped the semester at the community college so haven't been in close contact with him.

    The setup will come, I promise. just wondering if the strings I want will require a new tailpiece.
  4. I thought this thread would be about the stuff that comes in a can. :(

  5. Most URB strings are ball-end, indeed.
    In my knowledge, only Jargar strings, which have a removable ball-end, can be installed loop or ball style.
    Unless your tailpiece is highly unusual, it should take ball-end strings.
    How is it special, and why do you talk about your bridge designed for loop-end string? That doesn't make sense. The bridge doesn't know anything about your strings ends...
  6. sethdavidson


    Mar 11, 2002
    first, shouldn't of said bridge. my only concerns are with the tailpiece, so it was a typo to say bridge.

    I don't know that the tailpiece would be incompatable, it just currently has strings on that loop through the tailpiece and anchor to themselves, if that makes any sense. I don't see how ball end strings would be anchored if they were used - the tailpiece I have is basically just a piece of wood with four holes drilled through. I guess if thats standard I'll have a very red face. sorry to be so very green sounding on this.
  7. If the holes are so big that string ball-ends would go through, then you may need to have your tailpiece modified.
    Most balls are about half an inch big.
    Usually, a tailpiece string hole has a shape similar to a key-hole. There's a big hole, and a narrower slot, toward the bridge.
    If yours has only big holes, you may only need to get the little slots made.

  8. sethdavidson


    Mar 11, 2002
    Yeah, I can see what you mean looking at other pictures. I do not have the slots you describe, so I guess when I go to the luthiers its either modify or new tailpiece. Thanks a ton for your help, I think that pretty much answers all my questions. and thanks for having patience with a newbie as well.