Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

silly tabbers.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Mike Money, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    this is from a BYOB geetar tab from mxtabs.net

"THANK YOU FOR ALL THE COMMENTS PEOPLE! =-)
    Ok i guess the people have spoken and they are right
    the tuning for this song is not drop Db
    it is in fact c#g#c#f#a#d#
    this tuning sounds perfect!
    thank you all for the corrections!"

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario

Ew.

3. My brain hurts...

4. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
    OMFG, that is too much, just tooooo much :p

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't get it.

;)

6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    While I am not a fan of tabs, and I could be wrong here, but I think the guy is saying:

Instead of a normal tuned (E, A, D, G, B, E) guitar with it's low E dropped a step and a half to Db, the song in question works better on a guitar tuned a half step down (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb, ala Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc. Quite common actually.) with it's low Eb tuned down now only 1 whole step to the Db (Another quite common tuning configuration.).

....but all the sharps do look funny.:D

7. Db and C# are the same thing!

8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan

[​IMG]

9. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    :D :D :D
    Made my friggin' day. Thanks.

10. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaha, thats so funny... almost... too funny...

11. LittleJaco

LittleJaco

Nov 4, 2004
    silly tabbers, theory is for real musicians!

12. Hello and welcome to Clan Tabevil. Proudly pointing out that TAB is the work of the devil since 2001...

13. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Guitar.

14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Also, I could have swore SOAD was a dropped C band... not C# or Db whichever sounds better. :D

15. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    On their first 3 CDs, they were dropped C. Now they're C#.

I think they're pulling a Metallica only in reverse. I've heard them play the song "Deer Dance," which was originally C, in C# and it sounds different but fine.

16. ArtisFallen

ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    wow i'm slow. i thought the pound signs were spaces, so i thought he was actually correcting himself.... what a moron....

17. konstein

konstein

Jul 4, 2005
    I've seen them play a bunch of songs at this year's Big Day Out (Aerials, Bounce, Chop Suey, Deer Dance, and Needles) that are all in C on Toxicity. They played them all a half step up. It sounds weird at first if you are used to hearing them in C like I am, but you get used to it. It is probably harder for Serj and Daron to hit the higher vocal notes, since they do get pretty high in C already. They also played Cigaro, which of course, is supposed to be in C# in the first place.

But, to the point of the thread, that is one of the reasons I use my ears as opposed to tablature. The people that post tablature "think" they're correct, when they're way off, and other people who read tablature "believe" that it's correct. A good statistic one of my teachers gave me is that 99.9% of all tabs are wrong. And I agree with that 100%.

18. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    I tend to use tabs as a "Start"
    I normally cannot find the starting notes and tabs help me with that :)

19. konstein

konstein

Jul 4, 2005
    Have you ever done ear training? I did it every day when i took Music Theory at school, and I have to say it's changed my life. I can basically hear anything in my head if I know the notes, and I can visualize music being played on a fretboard when hearing it.

Of course, with System Of A Down, it's not that difficult.

But you can tell that some people at mxtabs haven't really been doing their homework...

20. Man, I can just imagine the howling and name calling that was going on over there as they argued whether the tune was in Db or C#. :spit: :confused: :eek: :bag: :mad: :spit:

And I thought TB got into some hair splitting flame wars over semantic nonense sometimes.... Compared to that, we're Shakespeare over here... :D

Randy