1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Silly thinking out loud (Ibanez SRC6 conversion)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JACink, Jun 15, 2017.

1. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    As the title says, this is just some thinking out loud, I am not planning on doing this, but I am curious as to what the outcome may be.

I am reading decent reviews about the quality of the Ibanez SRC6, which is a short scale bass/baritone/guitar type thingy. A lot of the reviews say that it is aimed at guitarists who want to play bass :facepalm:

ibanez+src6.

Anyways, I really wished that Ibanez made a short scale bass that was a little "more" than the Mikro. I have nothing against the Mikro, I own one and it is great, but it is just a little too small for me, I miss the extra inch and a bit. I find that I am really comfy around the 30" to 31" mark.

The SRC6 is great if you like that kind of thing, but I would like a similar spec'd 4 string. I am wondering if the SRC6 would make a good conversion.

So... reading the specs of the bass, it seems that the pickups are EMG 35HZ, which are four string pickups.

The string spacing is 10.8mm, so by my calculations, reducing it to a 4 string would give me 18mm spacing.

The nut width is 42mm (1.65") which is a standard P-Bass nut.

Thinking about switching the bridge and nut left me with the remaing factor of the 2 extra tuners.

The tuners could be removed and the holes filled and then a headstock refin or the headstock could be reshaped to be shorter (no a bad thing), but the 3rd option I can think of is to leave the 6 tuning pegs and make the D and G strings two strings each (like on an 8 string). This is probably an idea that wouldn't work very well, but it would be free to try.

So, what negative sides can you see to a conversion like this?

2. @JACink
    Stop right there you crazy fool. This shortie fetish is getting outa hand :D
    Can't see any negatives apart from the price,near 700 euro before any mods.That's half a custom build.

3. JACink

JACink

Mar 9, 2011
    Spain
    :roflmao:

I know I know, as I said, I am not planning on doing it...

...but it does seem like it would make a decent shorty...

hmmm...

let me know if you see on used in the EU :D ...

(still looking for an Ibanez Mikro 5er, but they are like rocking horse excrement here)

4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    JACink likes this.
  5. aloctavodia

aloctavodia

Mar 9, 2017
    Argentina
    Hi,

I am thinking about the same :)

I like the bass a lot but sometimes the string spacing bothers me. So turn this bass into a 4 or 5 string bass could be a good idea for me. I don't care a lot about leaving the two extra tuners (or as you say just remove them and fill the holes), but not sure what bridge should I use.

Update: I did it

IMG_20180316_190738.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Bryan bird and JACink like this.
  6. Bryan bird

Bryan bird

May 13, 2015
    US, Montana
    Me too!!! Thanks for the advice @aloctavodia
    I went with a short fender bridge, I wish I hadn't. It doesn't cover the rear bridge mounts. Kept with the SS rotosound 95's. I've got some work remaining.
    IMG_0001.

aloctavodia likes this.
  7. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Interesting. What do they tend to weigh?

- John

8. Bryan bird

Bryan bird

May 13, 2015
    US, Montana
    mine is 6lbs 14 oz, with strap. No straplocks, yet. SRC6's are still kind of expensive. But, you can reverse the mod if you don't mind five empty screw holes hidden under the original bridge. :)

Last edited: May 8, 2018
    aloctavodia likes this.