Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silver Flute woofers for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Oct 29, 2003.

1. I found these speakers at Madisound.

Silver Flute Speakers

What's your opinion of using 8 of the little 5 1/4" guys in a "Phil Jones" style enclosure? They are cheap, only about $15 ea. The recommended enclosure is 11 liters (less than 1/2 cubic foot) per driver for an F3 of 51 hz. With that many paralleled you have decent power handling (480 watts). Efficiency isn't the greatest but it might be a relatively inexpensive and fun project.

Wouldn't be an F# enclosure, but lots of acclaimed B string cabinets don't go much lower than that.

Stay Low!

BT

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    The big difference between these drivers and the PJB speakers is that his would have more x-max than 3.5mm and a higher sensitivity than 87 dB.

Buy using 8 of them, the cab will have an effective sensitivity of 96dB (add 3dB every time you double the number of speakers). Which sounds OK but they're only 60w each. So you'll end up with a 480w cab with a Max SPL on 122dB. That's not bad but it's not good either. Compare that to an Eden 2x10 (104dB at 450 w) = 130dB max SPL.

3. Yeah, I here you, but for $115 in speakers and a sheet of plywood that sounds like an awesome box for the money. Also, you don't need a tweeter because the high end goes out to 9Khz. Makes a nice simple projectfor about $150. And how many people really *need* 130 dB - it's enough to make you deaf.

BTW, PJB 8T lists at $895. I could build 8 of these for the same dough!

BT

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    8 of the 6.5 would be cooler: 98Db @1W @1m and 640WRms :: ~126Db.

Lose some hi-end, but who cares.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Don't forget to add the cost of connectors, corner protectors, handles, grill, carpet (or whatever you decide to use to cover it), speaker wire, acoustic foam. Most guys would also include their time in the equation but I don't - time doesn't matter if you're enjoying yourself.

I'm assuming you've already got the necessary tools.

Oh one more thing - wiring/impedance. YOu mentioned wiring them all in parallel but that's not a good idea. Your final impedance will be low enough to cook your amp.

What is your prefered overall nominal impedance. We'll have to come up with a wiring diagram for you.

6. Oops. What Iwas thinking was acoustically parallel. I are a lectric enguhnear ya know.
    I know better :rolleyes:

Yeah actually I was thinking of series/parallel wiring for a 4 ohm cab. Then when I finish fixing my B2R I'd have a decent match. I think.

I found a couple of articles on the web about the silver flute, a guy had made some hifi speakers out of it and was raving about the value. I found them at Solen (Canada, eh?) for 13.59 USD. So you northerners could get a deal.

Stay Low.

BT

7. "Q"

"Q"

Feb 9, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    /resurrect. This seems relevant because the topic is pretty obscure. I have 2 of these drivers that I was going to make some stereo speakers out of but, at this point in time I need a serviceable cab and I'm dirt poor. (I also have an 18" BW for the low end, just considering these for mids)

So I hooked one up to my 15watt Kustom practice amp with a towel packed around the back and wow. I've always been a 1x15 guy for years but this really really sounds great. Very clean and natural sounding across the board. Frankly, I was surprised that cheap little amp could sound that good. My first impression was that I wouldn't mind using four of these in a proper cab to do some recording with.

Only two things I'm worried about as to using them for mid drivers.

1. Low efficiency I'm not sure where my 18" BW is at but I'm betting is way higher than 90 db.

2. Power handling. I'll be using two of them so I'll theoretically have 120 watts handling but these aren't pro sound drivers so I'm wondering if theres a hidden factor here. Also, they sound so good I would like to run them as low as possible(1-2k?) which will be putting more power to them.

I'll be running these bi-amp as I have a pre that has a variable crossover and a PA amp so I guess that will get around any efficiency problems but then thats still more power they will have to take.

Final comments on the sound: The bass was fairly good. Even low E was pretty enjoyable to play. And I figure if you can get decent bass from a 5 1/4 driver thats not in an enclosure driven with 15 watts of cheap power you have a decent speaker. There is just tiny amount of high end "fizz". it doesn't sound ragged but it might be something some ppl would want to filter out....not nearly as bad as common tweeter horns though.
    FWIW I've run through home stereo speakers for a goof before and of course direct into studio monitors and these are not reminiscent of that sound at all even though they sound very hi-fi. And no the wool cones do not make them sound "wooly".<_<

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you had a way to high pass filter them so the low bass (60Hz and lower) wouldn't be reproduced (got the BW for that), I would think they'd handle more power that way.

Biamping would probably work well to balance the output levels.