Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Silver Mt. Zion

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by nad, Feb 15, 2006.

1. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Any fans? I'm really digging on these dudes/chicks lately, and they have some pretty awesome doublebass work.

Good stuff, very emotional and somber, but not completely depressing. Just ordered Horses in the Sky from their label, woo!

http://www.cstrecords.com/bands_silvermtzion.html

2. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    I absolutely -love- Silver Mt. Zion. With a passion.

Horses In The Sky is some of their best work too, imo. I didn't think so at first, but it's grown on me so so much.

3. I like em, but I like the related Godspeed You! Black Emperor better.

4. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I like them both.

If you like both of these you must, must check out Do Make Say Think.

5. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Godspeed and Silver Mt. Zion are both absolutely amazing bands. If you dig their stuff, I highly recommend looking at Tortoise, Mogwai, Do Make Say Think, and last but not least, Explosions in the Sky. Damn good music, IMO.

6. I don't think Tortoise really fits into that list at all, but whatever.

Hey Starbucker, do you know a post-rock band named This Is a Process of a Still Life? I saw them in an opening slot at the Knitting Factory Los Angeles a couple years back. I think they were from Billings, but they might have been from Missoula.

7. Starbucker

Starbucker Guest

Jun 29, 2005
    Billings, MT
    Well, I think they do. Secondly, I've heard of This is a Process of a Still Life, but I haven't heard any of their music. I'm pretty sure they're a Missoula band.

8. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I've been listening to Horses in the Sky a whole lot lately, and I'm very angry with myself for not diving into their vocal albums sooner.

Well, very angry is a bit of an overstatement. Slightly confused and somewhat itchy is more fitting I suppose.

9. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    Silver Mt. Zion is really great. I've had the pleasure of seeing Godspeed You Black Emperor! live, twice, but have yet to see ASMZ perform. I'm sure it'd be a great show!
    Their vocals are getting better and better, the less they worry about how they actually sound, IMO.

10. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Anybody pick up the new one yet? Very very different for them, quite rock oriented. Only listened to it once so will need more time with it, but I like it so far.

I had the pleasure of experiencing them live a few years ago, and it was one of the most moving concerts of my entire life. Absolutely stunning emotion, dedication, crowd interaction, and just overall amazing. Except all the 20 year old yuppies in the audience, something I didn't quite understand.

11. zipflint

zipflint

Sep 25, 2005
    Spartanburg, SC
    Just got the CD myself a few days ago and have only had time to listen to it once. I definitely got a lot out of it but like all their stuff, the more I listen, the more I enjoy it.

12. I'm going to see them down in NYC on May 20. Really looking forward to it.

13. I am a fan--I like GY!BE a little better, but I like what I have heard from SMZ

14. afinalfantasy

afinalfantasy Banned

Jan 11, 2006
    A Silver Mt Zion are amazing, though I happen to like Godspeed You! Black Emperor more.