1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Silver Slap tension but bowable?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by armybass, Apr 11, 2020.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    So on my Shen did have Innovation Silver Slaps and I love the tension. They feel great to my hands but I don’t care for their bow sound or lack there of. On my Calin Wultur Hybrid I have 3/4 Spiro Solos and believe it or not they are just too stiff for me still. Not terribly so but I bough that I was an to change them.

So, is there a string that had the feel and tension of the Silver Slap Innovations but with a metal wrap that has a nice bowing tone?

2. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    maybe evah slap, obligatos are low too.

armybass likes this.
  3. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    Hmm. If Spiro solos tuned to orchestra pitch have too much tension for you, I have to wonder about your bass's setup. If I recall correctly, even Olivs feel tenser/stiffer than Spiro solos.

Sam Dingle likes this.
  4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, Innovation Polychromes?

SilverSlaps are one of Innovation's lowest tension string models. Innovation Polychrome strings are more of a medium tension, with a polymer core and a chrome steel winding for better arco. Word is that they bow very nicely. These are also noticeably thinner than SilverSlaps so they will have a different pizz feel.

DoubleMIDI and armybass like this.
  5. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    A conversation with a luthier may be your best bet, however in my experience the silver slaps do get better with the bow as they get played in, particularly the E and A. I'd maybe start with different D and G over those if all else fails.

armybass and dhergert like this.
  6. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    My experience too, with the SilverSlaps E and A. I'm not using SilverSlaps D and G so I can't address them related to arco. What I can say is that the D and G that I am using bow really quite well (SBW Deluxe Dirty Guts, medium tension).

armybass likes this.
  7. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    The D and G maintain that nasal quality, in my experience, and require a lot of bow to maintain a consistent sound. A lot like unwound gut, but less grab from the bow. I still like them, especially pizz as a gut substitute. In regards to that, why not lose all sanity and try some gut strings, OP?

armybass, Sam Dingle and dhergert like this.
  8. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    What about Zyex?

9. birgebass

birgebass

Nov 7, 2011
    Arkansas
    Zyex lights are about like spiro lights in my experience

HateyMcAmp and armybass like this.
  10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Denver, Colorado
    Evah Slaps, the full synthetic set. The other sets mentioned in this thread are low tension, but the evah Slaps are the only metal would string I've encountered that has a tension as low as the innovation Slaps.

JeffKissell, DoubleMIDI and armybass like this.
  11. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Thanks for all the input. I’ll try a set of the Eva Slaps.

12. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    Solo Evah tuned down bow great and IIRC lower tension than Spiro solos, but I can’t compare them to the Evah Slaps.

Or, perhaps look into some kind of “bumped” set? Start with a stiff arco string with a high C, tuned down a 4th as your 1st string, tune the G down likewise for the 2nd string, etc...

armybass and Sam Dingle like this.
  13. Bumped strings only work if they are higher tension on their intended pitch. If you bump them the tension goes down to 56% of the tension (-44%) of the intended pitch.

Steel strings are about 30 kp (up to 34 kp) per string, lower tension (naked) gut around 20 kp (down to 18 kp) per string. Do your math ...

An already lighter set family at medium tension might work better if you downtune the corresponding solo set (-21%).

14. dfp

dfp

Sep 28, 2004
    USA
    Bumped strings “only work” if they’re on a bass and someone plays them and likes them, same as any string! OP has tried other strings that “work,” but they didn’t “work” for him.

OP asked about bowable strings with low tension... and he said Spiro solos tuned down were a bit too stiff for him... so... pardon me but i think mediums of some other string family in general are not what he’s looking for.

At any rate, a Superflexible medium D tuned down makes a pretty passable A... the medium A tuned down also can work as a low E, but may require bridge or even fingerboard adjustments, the former being reversible, the latter not, which I think may be one reason more people don’t fully explore bumped set possibilities. Bumped lower strings can work well with plain gut upper strings.

Maybe some Stark Flexocor or some other heavy gauge arco-centric string would make a pleasing, bowable bumped set. Mathematics notwithstanding!!

armybass likes this.
  15. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    If you can find a set.

If anybody knows somebody that has full sets in stock, please share — especially the pre GHS version.

16. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, I suspect those are extremely rare now. For GHS made, have you tried Gollihur (NFI)?

17. Selim

Selim Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2008
    New York City
    Gollihur has some single strings (no G strings at all). But no complete sets.

I've read stuff here on talkbass suggesting that GHS had not yet successfully replicated the original design yet before they halted production because of the pandemic.

dhergert likes this.
  18. dhergert

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Hmmm, sorry to hear that. We're all sort of holding our breath, waiting for whatever is "normal" to start happening.

Selim likes this.
  19. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I doubt even the pre-GHS version was that close to the original. Remember, the recipes they sent us (that were incorrect) had been in production for quite some time. So, unless you've got someone that has a set from 2017 or so sitting on the shelf, it wasn't original.

Fairly close, yes. Between Daf and myself, I think we're down to tweaking the G string as that's been the problem string from the start. The other 3 are fine.

JayLaughlin and Selim like this.
  20. Michael Glynn

Michael Glynn

Feb 25, 2004
    Seattle
    Innovation Braided Solos tuned down could be another option. Tension would probably be very low, probably bow nicely, and the core material should be very similar to the Silver Slaps, which might make them feel/sound similar.

armybass likes this.